Reg Hose O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl_T

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Newbie question.

just bought a new set of regs, 2nd and octo have a nice strain relief piece by the 1st stage, gauges and low pressure inflator line don't.
If I undo the hose to fit some strain relief do I need to replace the o-rings too? Do they need a wipe with silicon or anything?

Ta

Karl_T

Newbie question.

just bought a new set of regs, 2nd and octo have a nice strain relief piece by the 1st stage, gauges and low pressure inflator line don't.
If I undo the hose to fit some strain relief do I need to replace the o-rings too? Do they need a wipe with silicon or anything?

Ta

Karl_T

Personally, I think strain reliefs are pretty worthless. Usually they trap water inside and cause corrosion issues. However, you don't necessarily have to replace the oring if the one there is in good shape. Installing a strain relief may be a pain though, unless you have the tool that pulls it through. They are pretty tight on there.

I agree with 350 on this one. I have no use for them but if you like them go for it. There is no need to replace the orings or relube them...unless you damage one, which is not likely. If you soak the reliefs in very hot water (boiling if great but hard to handle) before trying to install them, they go on a lot easier.

+1
Most of my hoses have protectors, only because they came that way and I too lazy to remove them. But I slide them off the metal parts when I wash/soak them: no problem at all, all the chrome are shiny like new, even though some of the hoses are more than 20 years old.

Back
Top Bottom