Reg help, feels out of breath at 100ft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

czwong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I just came back from a dive trip in Belize and tested out the new reg (Mares V16/Proton XL). The reg was working as expected until I dove down beyond 100ft(first time to do so, this is my deep dive A.O.W). I tried to take in a big gulp of air and the regulator had difficulty in streaming air in one continuous flow. It had a little pause in the middle, and this worried me a lot. If I just try to take a normal breath, it works ok, no pause. To me it feels like the first stage cannot provide enough air for a deep breath in one go beyond 100ft. Is this the way it supposed to function? Any reply appreciated, thank you very much in advance.

A worried diver

That should definitely not happen. Bring it into your shop and have them check it out.

Thank you for the quick reply, I will bring it back to the shop tomorrow......

...definitely take to the shop to be inspected......I dive Mares RUBY's and Mares MR 16 Voltrex's...have had both to about 150 ft. deep......and both models breath as well at 150 ft. deep (which is the deepest I've gone ) as they do at the surface......so what you're experiencing is definitely -- not -- normal.

Karl

Did you buy the reg online or at a LDS?

I bot this reg from LP at their shop in new york city......

czwong:
I bot this reg from LP at their shop in new york city......

Oh boy, here comes the "thats my point of buying scuba gear from lds not online or lp" comments. Well bring it back to lp and have them check it out.
Good luck

went to LP today and they took the reg in for checkup, approximate turn around 4-6weeks, I will see how that goes.....

This is the dilemma, since I live in new york, LP is my LDS :eyebrow:

It sure sounds like the valve on the tank was not completely open. There isn't too much else that would cause the problem.

hummm..... actually, I checked the tank myself and the knob was fully open. This happened on couple dives, different tanks......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom