Reg for twin set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found an old thread discussing this issue. Tek 3 vs DS4 for doubles

If you look at the photos it shows the routing of the DS4 and Tek 3. While it does not show the routing of a MK-25 or DST w/5th port, it does show a similar setup from Atomic.

It appears there is not much difference in routing between the DS4 and the Tek 3.

Here is a photo of the routing on a MK-25.

scubaprofront.jpg

I dive mainly in the Maltese waters, in winters sometimes the water temperatures drops down to 14 degrees centigrade, in summer months it is around 27 degrees.

Our waters it's not dirty at all. From what I'm seeing I think the sealed diaphragm is more for dirty cold waters, which I don't think I'll ever dive in.

You have to take into consideration that there is biases on SB for and against certain brands in dive regulators. There is a lot of misinformation here. SP PISTON regulators are used in the coldest water in the North East deep water and in the Great Lakes without any issues. Many of the US centric brands recommended to you are very difficult to come by in Malta/Europe and difficult to find local support for them.

It is probably best to check around you in Malta and see what the local technical divers use. As suggested previously, you have one of the top technical (wreck and cave) instructors in the world living in Gozo and dives SP regulators. You should check with him for more relevant information.

I found an old thread discussing this issue. Tek 3 vs DS4 for doubles

If you look at the photos it shows the routing of the DS4 and Tek 3. While it does not show the routing of a MK-25 or DST w/5th port, it does show a similar setup from Atomic.

It appears there is not much difference in routing between the DS4 and the Tek 3.
I was very disappointed when TEK3 first came out. I was hoping the routing of the hoses would be much improved over DS4, FSR or DST but it was not the case. And the retail price at that time was ridiculously high.
I can think of only one reason why there is such a big drop in price now.

However, the Deep6 regs do come with a service kit. That may or may not even up the cost, depending on your situation. For a doubles set, that is a $75 value. My shop charges $35 per reg (1st or 2nd stage) to do a service and the parts are included, so it doesn't really even up the cost for me.

A set of service kits, and the first service is on us.

Just curious, so they charge $35 per stage, so a complete regulator service in total costs $140 for a set of doubles (4 stages x $35)?

A set of service kits, and the first service is on us.

Just curious, so they charge $35 per stage, so a complete regulator service in total costs $140 for a set of doubles (4 stages x $35)?

Yes. I had my single tank reg set serviced a few months ago. 1st stage + 2 x 2nd stage. Total bill, out the door, was $105. The same price is listed on their website. I didn't get any kind of special deal.

I've been wondering... When you say the 1st service is on you, does that mean you also supply the kits that are needed? So, the customer ships you their regs, but keeps the service kits that came with their regs, and you do the service? So, the total cost to the customer is only the cost of shipping?

Regardless, I think a lot of the folks that would be in the market for Deep6 regs (i.e. more likely, tech divers and dive pros versus OW-only divers) would find the price more attractive if the first service wasn't built in. I suspect a decent chunk of the Deep6 market is people who would not be sending their regs back to Deep6 for service, regardless, for any of a number of reasons.

So, the total cost to the customer is only the cost of shipping?

Yes, that is correct.

Regardless, I think a lot of the folks that would be in the market for Deep6 regs (i.e. more likely, tech divers and dive pros versus OW-only divers) would find the price more attractive if the first service wasn't built in.

With the Signature, we aren't really trying to compete to be the cheapest option available, we are going more for being the best value at a reasonable price. This may not work for some, and thats ok, we totally understand that.

With the Signature, we aren't really trying to compete to be the cheapest option available, we are going more for being the best value at a reasonable price. This may not work for some, and thats ok, we totally understand that.

I gotcha. I was just thinking that without building in the cost of a free service, the Signature regs would be an even better value. And without any compromise any quality.

At the point that two different regs are both "good" (or, maybe, good enough?), then the one that is least expensive is, pretty much automatically, the best value.

Deep6 regs are certainly a reasonable price. They are undoubtedly a better value (to MOST people) than, say, a ScubaPro Mk25/A700 setup. But, if a Dive Rite XT set (for example) can be purchased for less money, it would be hard to me to say that the Deep6 regs are the "best value". Especially to a person who is not going to take advantage of the free service offer. And especially if the price comparison is $749 vs $835 for a doubles setup. Even moreso to someone (like me) where the two closest shops to me both have techs that work on DR and both places stock parts for DR regs. Are they actually better regs? I don't know. Could be. But, are they the "best value"? That seems like a much tougher conclusion to draw.

I have a buddy here with a Deep6 SM setup. Sooner or later I will work it out with him to try them for myself. I'd really like to see how they are.

In a typical, standard BM doubles configuration, they require some hoses to make a 90 degree bend just after they come out of the reg. You may think there is nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't want my hoses to have that.

I'm sure he's aware of their use and limitations......

I'm also sure he has more than enough experience to make the determination that it's not an issue....

I'm sure he's aware of their use and limitations......

I'm also sure he has more than enough experience to make the determination that it's not an issue....

The point is not what he knows. The point is what he tells someone who doesn't know and is asking for advice about what twinset regs to buy. If you say that Tek3s are perfectly fine and have no disadvantages, as compared to other regs, you are not being completely truthful to the person you're communicating with. He may not think the 90 degree bends are any disadvantage at all. But, I would also bet that he knows that other equally knowledgeable and experienced people (not talking about myself) would not completely agree with that. Withholding that info does not seem like the best way to really help the person who asked the question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom