Reg Doubts!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He-MaN

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there guys. I'm new in this board and I'd like you guys to give me a help to choose my first and second stage regulators.
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm talking from Brazil. So, if I write something wrong in English you guys already know why...

Well, there are doubts that I don't understand what it means when you write. What's the meaning of Turret and Swivel Turret?

I was thinking about to buy a APEKS TX100, but after reading some threads I've changed my mind. Now I'm thinking about to buy a ATX50/DS4 combo. I just don't know if it'll be possible to find it here in Brazil! Maybe I'll ask my cousin that lives in USA to buy it to me. What do you think??

Another thing that I'd like to know. What's the utility of the 1/2 medium pressure port of the TX100 first stage??? Where can I use it? Is it totally useless??
And what's the advantage of having two High Pressure ports in the first stage??? I'd like to know this because the DS4 first stage has just one high pressure port. And if it's important maybe I'd better buy another one? :confused:

Thank you very much for your patience. :eek:ut:
If someone wants to help me more, call me at my ICQ 4817987

Greetings, and welcome to Scuba Board! I'll address your concerns one by one with my perspective.

Originally posted by He-MaN
Well, there are doubts that I don't understand what it means when you write. What's the meaning of Turret and Swivel Turret?

The Apeks DST stands for Dry Sealed Turret. Basically, it means that part of the first stage with the LP ports swivals/moves. I'm one of those who don't particulary care for the swivals. Swival type regs have been known to leak from the swival assembly. IMO, the swival isn't necessary and simply offers another potential failure point (albeit probably not life threatening). I should add that Apek's DST first stage is particularly well made and doesn't have a bad reputation for leaky swivals.

The DS4 and TX100 do not have a swival built into the first stages. They are fixed. These fixed first stages are the preferred style first stages of many technical divers when failure point reduction is paramount.

I was thinking about to buy a APEKS TX100, but after reading some threads I've changed my mind. Now I'm thinking about to buy a ATX50/DS4 combo. I just don't know if it'll be possible to find it here in Brazil! Maybe I'll ask my cousin that lives in USA to buy it to me. What do you think??

The ATX50/DS4 isn't really offered as a combo. It takes some manipulation and a nice dive shop owner to do it for ya. I hear that Simply Scuba is offering the ATX50 second stage separate and the DS4 separate so you can get them as a combo -- www.simplyscuba.com.

I have an ATX50/DS4 on it's way, so I can't say for certain if the lighter weight second stage is worth the extra money. I suspect I'll be very happy

Another thing that I'd like to know. What's the utility of the 1/2 medium pressure port of the TX100 first stage??? Where can I use it? Is it totally useless??
And what's the advantage of having two High Pressure ports in the first stage??? I'd like to know this because the DS4 first stage has just one high pressure port. And if it's important maybe I'd better buy another one? :confused:

IMO, the 1/2" port is more of a sales gimmick. I have no doubt that it allows for more air flow, but I don't think it's particulary relevant to a human. A machine can tell the difference which is great for publishing and magazines. I have a DST and a TX100 which both have the 1/2" port, and I have a DS4 with all 3/8" ports, and I can't tell the difference at depth between any of them. The only thing the 1/2" port does is create problems regarding standardization, hose availability, and the use of adaptors/reducers.

Two HP ports is another sales gimmick to make it look like the first stage offers better/more hose routing configurations or something. Some people use such things as air integrated computers with a regular SPG backup :rolleyes: :D and therefore need to have two HP ports.

IMO, the best all around first stage on the market is the DS4. If Apeks changes their TX100 and gets rids of it's 1/2" port, I would move that reg into the number one spot.

Good luck.

Mike

Try diveinn.com great prices and service. I have an Apeks tx100 and tx50. both are great. Two HP ports gives you one for computer and one for back up guage. A turret is the round section of the first stage the hoses connect to. A swivle allows the whole turret to spin and help alignment.
LP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom