Reg breathing wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a Scubapro MK25 S600 Reg. I used it for two or three years without getting it serviced, because I had heard so many stories from people that "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Then I decided to go ahead and get it done, since I didn't want to lose the lifetime parts warranty for not getting it regularly serviced, and also since my dive buddy scolded me and told me that if I didn't get it serviced, he wouldn't dive with me anymore until I did. So, I went ahead and had it serviced. Well, ever since then, when I invert in the water, it breathes wet. It really only has this issue when I'm upside down. It really bugs me, because I love being inverted to look under logs and crevices looking for critters and such.

Any ideas on what could be wrong with it? It's been some time since I had it serviced, and the authorized dealer I used is no longer in that location. Haven't checked yet to see if they just moved or went out of business, but that is my next step. I'm wondering if they could have done something wrong when it was serviced that would make it do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kory

Possibly a hole in the diaphram or a washer was put on before the diaphram was seated onto the body. Remove the S600 from the primary reg. Put your finger over the hose and suck hard on the S600. If you get any air, -take it back for service.

Something is wrong with the way they put it back together. My S600s don't breathe wet when upside down. I'd try to locate the service folks you used, but if they are out of business (which happens all too often in the diving world) then you'll have to find another SP dealer to have a look at it.

I find it amazing the amount of problems that occur after a "Authorized Dealer" services regulators but you can't get the parts yourself because you don't have the tools or the training. Never trained to repair my brakes either but I can get parts at any Napa.

Have you tried tightening the adjustment knob a bit (rotate clockwise by half a turn)? This is the best case scenario: the tech has adjusted the cracking pressure too low.

When inverted, my regs (MK25/ S600) will breathe a little wet. Nothing major. I just figure a little water getting in the exhaust valve after the bubbles vacate & the exhaust seal has a chance to settle. There is also a chance that the diaphragm may have a little fold, hole or crack in it.

A small hole in the mouth piece ( right where the mouth piece meets the regulator), could be the problem.

It's probably a leak at the exhaust valve; if not there, then the mouthpiece, or where the diaphragm is clamped in place (much less likely IMO) and finally either a crack in the case or a bad o-ring at one of several places around the case. See if the reg holds vacuum (it probably won't) by making the sure the dust cap is nice and tight or attaching it to a tank without the air on, then try to draw a breath. You should not be able to. If you get some air, you can try to figure out where it's getting in; that's where the water is getting in. One way you can do this is to get a pot or sink of water, dip the reg in deep enough to submerge the exhaust valve but nothing else, then draw another breath. Still getting air? It's something else. By contorting around a bit and submerging different potential leak spots you might get lucky and find the leak.

I'll take a guess here that the tech either didn't replace one of the case o-rings or maybe the little o-ring that seals the venturi assist, or pinched something putting it back together. The SP manual says not to replace the exhaust valve if it's not leaking, so maybe this guy just ignored it altogether. Who knows, but there's a leak and either you or a better tech needs to find it.

The reason you notice it while you're upside down is because the mouthpiece is lower than the exhaust valve when you're in that position, so any water that leaks into the case drains into the mouthpiece and subsequently your mouth, instead of just out the exhaust valve in "normal" dive position.

Not much to add to this, but I would recommend making your safety conscious dive buddy dive with the newly serviced reg then tell him to mind his own business next time. I think it is funny that the people that get there regs serviced more often are the divers that if there is a problem are usually no more than a 10 to 15 second CESA from the surface. But tech divers that may have an hour of deco or a 2000 foot swim to open water tend to be the fix only when they need it crowd. I am alos tired of the "it's life support" argument, I thought that was what all that training was for?

Good advice in several of the post above.

It can sometimes be a pain locating the source of the leak, but it is worth the effort to try, prior to having the reg serviced again....which you need to do, since it does sound like a sloppy rebuild caused the problem.

Here is a great resource, right on this board, that gives some tips on testing the regulator yourself:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

My guess: Exhaust valve leaking from your description (only happens when inverted), but as mentioned by others, there can be a variety of causes. It should be easily "fixable" by a competent tech.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom