Referrals and getting OW Cert. in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used the scopolamine patch for seasickness and it was very effective for me. One patch lasts about 72 hours. Last I checked, you still need a prescription to get it. The patch needs to be applied several hours before boarding the boat to get a decent level of the drug in your bloodstream.

I have found over-the-counter dramamine to be equally effective when taken at least an hour before boarding the boat.

Of course, everyone is different, but this has been my experience.
Thankfully, ginger has done the trick for me every time, except once when I had some bad food on the Superferry. I'm still blaming that one on the food and not my seaworthiness. :D

I'm not sure how we got onto this topic, but here's some additional food for thought.

From DAN Divers Alert Network : DAN Takes a Look at Over-the-Counter Medications
* Anti-Motion Sickness Preparations

It's best not to self-medicate here; specific warnings regularly prohibit the use of these medications prior to consulting a physician. It's generally agreed that - at any time - recreational divers should use these medications with caution.

As with some antihistamines, these medications may typically contain meclizine hydrochloride, dimenhydrinate, diphenhydramine hydrochloride and cyclizine. Common side effects are drowsiness and fatigue. Coupled with impairment of a diver's ability to perform hazardous activities requiring mental alertness or physical coordination, these side effects will definitely not enhance the pleasure of a dive.

And a complete article specifically on motion sickness: DAN Divers Alert Network : Motion Sickness
along with a 2003 updated article: DAN Divers Alert Network : Motion Sickness - Updated 2003

And finally an article specific to Transderm Scop (the patch recommended above): DAN Divers Alert Network : Transderm Scop (The Patch)

of specific note (emphasis mine):
Transderm Scop is [the author's] personal choice for motion sickness prophylaxis, and you'll find it recommended in the U.S. Navy Diving Manual (paragraph 8-8, 1993 edition). However, certain people do suffer side effects that would make it inappropriate for them. A physician must prescribe it, and one should test it before diving. Wear a patch for at least 24 hours on dry land in a situation where the potential side effects will not cause harm. If no side effects occur, then try it out on a dive.

I've been using the patch for flying and boat diving since I got certified 4 years ago. The side effects I get are dry mouth and my eyes feel a little out of focus sometimes, but both subside after I've worn the first patch (3 days). You can get the patch over the counter in Canada, it's called Transderm V.

I won't use dramamine since if I'm stressed, it'll cause me to go into a panic attack. Clearly that's the last thing I'd want to happen under water.

Bottom line for me, all medication should be used with care and caution, and each individual person should test all medications on land well prior to diving. Where the patch is a wonder-drug for me enabling me to fly in a plane and ride in boat with comfort, I have a friend who literally got puking sick the one time she tried the patch (at home). You just have to know what you're getting into and there's no way around that fact.

I recommend Kris for all your diving needs in Maui. My buddy Sean and I logged 10 dives with him over spring break and he is a great instructor. He is responsible for getting me my advanced open water and nitrox c-cards. Since then I can't seem to stop diving. Give him a call, you wont regret it one bit.

Back
Top Bottom