Referrals and getting OW Cert. in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nogard13

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. My fiancee and I are going on our honeymoon to Maui in May. We'll be there from the 5th to the 13th and we're looking forward to getting our Open Water cert while there. We did the classes and pool work here in the DC area and have our referral paperwork to take with us (the waters here are too cold so we chose to do it while on our honeymoon).

Anywho, we're going to be staying in Lahaina on the western part of the island (neer Kaanapali). Where would you guys recommend that we go to complete our cert? I'm looking for a good dive shop who will work with us and won't charge us an arm and a leg, lol.

Also, I would probably think that making two two-tank dives would be the best idea so that we could do it on two trips, rather than four, correct? I sometimes have motion sickness issues and people have recommended the patch. Is that effective?

Thanks guys, and sorry for all the questions!

EDIT: Oh, one more thing that you guys might find interesting: I proposed while on a dive in Cancun (discover SCUBA). I almost killed her because she got all choked up and started to cry and then she realized we were 25 feet under water and crying wasn't a good idea, lol.

Anywho, thanks again!

My fiancee and I are going on our honeymoon to Maui in May. We'll be there from the 5th to the 13th and we're looking forward to getting our Open Water cert while there. We did the classes and pool work here in the DC area and have our referral paperwork to take with us (the waters here are too cold so we chose to do it while on our honeymoon).

My reply is quite pointless to you I am certain, but I am interested in this as well. My wife and I will be going on our VERY belated honeymoon in July, Maui as well. We had considered doing the Open Water part of the certification there - so I am interested in the responses and your eventual experience there.

You guys might try the Hawaii Ohana section of scuba board.

Over the years I've narrowed my dive shop choices to B&B Scuba and for a legal licensed independent instructor who does shore dives you can try Shaka Doug. Neither are up at the west end where you're staying but trust me, it's not a long drive from west end to south end :)

I go to Maui all the time and stay on the Kaanapali beach all the time. There is a shop in Whaler's Village that provides classes. I would recomend that you contact them about finishing your certification before you leave for the islands.

Dove with Doug and he is usually available. He has the funky little school bus can't miss him.
As was said anywhere is fairly close on the "populated side" of Mauii.

Have fun,

Tim

Thanks guys.

We looked at both Doug and B&B and the wife liked B&B better, so we'll be contacting them to ensure they can do our PADI OW cert.

Again, thanks for all your help!

It's about a 45 minute drive from Kaanapali to the Kihei boat ramp. And B&B leaves around 6AM - most boats do since the tradewinds kick up around noon for the trip back. As good as B&B are, I can't see doing that for the several days it would take you to get certified.

Also Shaka Doug can't pick you up that far north due to his permit, afaik, he can't work north of Maalea (or maybe farther south?)

A couple of options in the Lahaina area are Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers. Since you mentioned motion sickness - Lahaina has the biggest stable boats. They mostly go to Lanai. Not that that's bad, one of the top dives off Maui is the Cathedrals off Lanai. And they're 50' so will be within your certification range.

Extended Horizons typically does a more advannced dive in the morning followed by classes/shallow diving in the afternoon. You can also try a shoredive with Pacific Dive in Lahaina. Old Airport Beach is a good site. Or dive Black Rock at the Sheraton - they have their own on-site operator.

Another option in the Lahaina area is ScubaBoard's own kidspot. He's an IANTD instructor, and I'm not sure about the crossover issues, if any, but he's a superb instructor, a beautiful diver, and I dove with a couple of his newly certified students the last time we were over there, and I was impressed.

Back
Top Bottom