Referral/Op Recommendations for PDC area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in PaaMul and my recomendation would be for Abyss. Dave the owner and Diego the Manager in PDC are great people. They will look after you.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I've been in contact with Dave at Abyss - we're going to dive with them. I'll let you know how it turns out.

John

gtxl1200:
OK so So how far exactly is Divemorelous from Cancun? I will be in cancun in July and really dont want to catch a cab at 4am to get to the dive site.
Are you staying in the hotel zone? We were at Moon Palace which is halfway between Puerto Morelos and Cancun. It was about a 15-20 minute cab ride to Dive Puerto Morelos. You'd be better off taking a bus from Cancun as the taxi fare would be expensive from hotel zone. Best bet-rent a car. I'd plan on a half hour. DPM is pretty laid back so they wouldn't leave you but they do like to get to popular sites before everybody else. 4am isn't a reality.

Yes we are staying in the Hotel Zone this is not a dive vacation so to speak I just wanted to grab two or three dives in while we were there. So didnt really want to rent a car just for two maybe three morning dives. is there any reputable dive ops in Cancun in the hotel zone area.

I've never dove with them but researched a company called Manta Divers. They are right there. www.mantadivers.com

They were really helpful, nice people. I didn't dive with them because we weren't staying in the hotel zone and I found Catbrown at DPM. Aquaworld is there too but they have a horrible reputation.

Just got back from Playa on 6/4. Dove with Abyss @ Blue Parrot Hotel. They were awesome. Dove ceynotes and ocean. No problems, very honest and one day I actually dove the wreck as the only diver on the boat. Can't recommend enough. It's about a $4 cab from your hotel with plenty of taxi's available.

Have fun!

jporis:
I am taking my family (wife, 4 kids, niece, nephew, father, step-mother) to PDC in June (12-19).

We will be staying at the RIU Tequila.

My 2 older sons (14 and 18) are taking their OW class right now and plan to do their OW referral dives in PDC.

We're considering having them do the cert dives here (Michigan) if time and weather permit, but for now are planning to do it in PDC.

I've been reading posts on here all morning and have seen recommendations for DiveMike, CyanHa, Sealife, Tankha, Abyss, and 1 for ScubaCaribe (the operator at our hotel).

What I'm looking for from an operation is:

1. GOOD, patient, thorough, safety conscious instructors for my sons (hey, they're my children!)
2. Setup with boats on the more comfortable side
3. Well maintained, modern rental equipment
4. Personalized service
5. Ideally, pickup from our hotel
6. Reasonable cost (e.g. ScubaCaribe appears to be more expensive than most of the others).

Can anyone provide a targeted recommendation for me?

Also, since this is my first time on this site, it would be rude to not introduce myself, I think.

I'm a male, 49, certified at Aqua-Sport in Eilat in 1981. Sporadic diving since then - at about 55 dives now. Have dived Eilat, Cozumel, Brazil (near Sao Paulo), Key Largo, Epcot's Aquarium (VERY cool dive!!), and a quarry in Ohio a few times (cold!). Recently did my PADI AOW and Nitrox in Aruba (on my honeymoon - wife wasn't too pleased, she doesn't dive). This appears to be a great site, thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Thanks!!

John
I have been down there about 5 times in last 7 years. I have been with a bunch of dive shops in the area and found DiveMikes to be the best one. Very friendly and accommodating. The boat rides are alittle rougher than cozumel but diving is easy there too. If you are planning to go to Cozumel at all, your family could do there first day referal off the shore there. Cheaper and easier so they get comfortable. I have done this with a few groups I have trained while down there. Also if harbor is closed(happens on windy days) then they can take you to a inland shallow sinkhole south of PDC. Easy freshwater dives to get your family starting off. Being from Canada every dive down there seems so much easier than here. You can email me if you would like me to talk to DiveMikes or a shop in Cozumel to find out prices and options. Remember you have a few people to certify. You can use this for getting a better price. The more people the better. It is getting more expensive down there every year and every $ counts! Especially from Canada were our money is worth half as much as yours!! Almost even with pesos it seems. If it was in winter, I could have met you down there to dive! Too bad!! I plan on going for few weeks to few months this winter if I have enough groups to teach and dive with. Good Luck!! b_side_divers@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom