Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would I make my life harder if I can just reel a line?!
You can swim faster than you can reel in a line, and thus spend less time at depth and reduce your deco obligation.

Why be satisfied with just a reel don't do it by halves mate take a travelator

Why would I make my life harder if I can just reel a line?!

To your question, a 200’ or 250’ primary reel from any of the major brands will be fine (Halcyon, DiveRite, LightMonkeyetc). I like sidewinder style reels, some people like slide lock (I don’t care for it).

If you’re okay with a spool (ie, you wind up manually, there’s no handle to reel it back in for you), there are cheaper options - the DGX and DiveRite 125’ finger spools are affordable and come with #24 line. You can opt for heavier line for wrecks.

My first reel was a 400ft Hollis, which sucked
Then I lost it and bought a MGE-TEC 100, which sucked.
Then I borrowed a Light Monkey 400ft reel, which was AWESOME!
Then I tried to make a reel from a paint roller, which sucked.
Now I just use a bit of plastic pipe and slide the entire roll of line straight onto this. Works fine for reeling out. Never tried reeling in.

I'll buy a Light Monkey at some stage.
Is there quality into a reel?
yes
What should I look when shipping for one?
I would try borrow a few before commiting. As above the Hollis and the Light Monkey look almost identicle but they handle so different underwater.

Hope that helps.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom