Reel for Dive flag/Surface Marker Buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd really like one that is both left and right handed. Ideally, would be omni-handed. Realistically would likely require a light "change-over" to go from left to right and back... hopefully without any additional parts.

Could be pretty simple in my limited knowledge. If the reel has a "side plate" the reel mounts to with a bolt as an axle, and then the line guide was just an L-bracket on the front of it, you just need to flip them to the other side. The ratchet-lock mechanism is the issue.... haven't thought that through yet... but really haven't tried...

could actually make the ratchet "dual sided" on the plate (lever assembly on both sides)....

@SpecialTest thank you for your order and giving me a shot.

As far as an 'omni' handed reel, you would be looking at a captive drum scenario, which would have be made from plastic/mold to be practical. Someone made one awhile ago and disappeared. Can't remember the name now. I am leaving my units as dedicated Right and Left hand models simply based on the demand by left handers (10-12% of the population). A universal, both RH and LH, would be interesting because you could use as dictated by the dive.

@rhwestfall I hear you on a mini version of this reel. I went straight to mid size and a large version, and left the mini or small version for later. I am working on it...I need to condense the frame more. I am close though.

Most of my sales for the mid size is here in the SE. Its the sweet spot for OW drift, spearos, etc. I spent a while at a busy dive shop in SoFlo and quickly learned what was needed. It can be frustrating using a reel that is meant for other tasks in this scenario.

@SubseaSports Check out MGE Reels for a omni-handed way. I don't think that design will act like a pawl though... I assume you have to pull the trigger to wind in and out.

1656043301021.png

I'd really like one that is both left and right handed. Ideally, would be omni-handed. Realistically would likely require a light "change-over" to go from left to right and back... hopefully without any additional parts.

Attachments

• C1BDA4BA-8708-4CCC-A71E-C2A9DA412AAE.jpeg
    C1BDA4BA-8708-4CCC-A71E-C2A9DA412AAE.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 53
Apeks makes a reversible reel.

Apeks makes a reversible reel.

And great if you have a kidney to sell...

I spent a while at a busy dive shop in SoFlo and quickly learned what was needed.
Is there a local shop to either Orlando or West Palm Bch that is stocking your open water reels to put our hands on?
It can be frustrating using a reel that is meant for other tasks in this scenario.
I dive both cave and I'm a spearo and you are 100% right. I have 2 completely different sets of gear for each. On our spearing dives, we'll keep the angle of the float line nearly vertical to the surface float in minimal current dives. After the catch is harvested near the sand, we come up about 10-15ft and zigzag down the reef side to side. This is always when we encounter 'slack/loose/floaty' line because we have our hands full with loopers, guns, bags and can't immediately wind up the line. It will dip down thru the reel's line guide and off the spool. If the line gets to the outboard side of the spool it's not a problem since it just jumps the knob. But when it jumps the inboard side of the spool and loops the barrel is when it's an issue.

I REALLY like your all metal thumb trigger design !!! It's my favorite and easiest design type to use. But us spearo's customize everything and reels are no different cause we are such a small customer base($$).

Let us know if a shop picked it up or if you will be at DEMA orlando in November (booth or not)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom