Reel for Dive flag/Surface Marker Buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Manta JR with DGX Dacron line, more line than with normal nylon line.
I've tried to like that reel for my float, but just can't. I find it too sensitive, and always releasing line..

These plastic reels have been around awhile. The pawl 'spring' is a tensioned piece of plastic that is a part of the pawl. The line is #18.
They are certainly affordable and will work. I would not expect it to last. Yes, I have one.
You can jump a couple of tiers up and get something all stainless, and available in right and left hand configuration like this
Looks like a nice piece of kit... hmmm...

Too sensitive for the Niagara?

What do you use there? Please don't say Kent, please don't say Kent...
It is the Manta Jr, that I don't like... Those "cheap" plastic ratchet reels work for me. Been using one for years. Might have been from Piranha, MAKO, ???

and yes, I do have a Kent... actually two of them, a regular reel, and a ratchet... :poke:

It's not the upfront price of the Kent that scares me, it's that despite being expensive, shipping from the UK is 50% of that expensive price. I just couldn't justify that price. Yes it's heavy, yes it's coming across the sea... but man, $65 for shipping.

I got the SubseaSports. Less "proven" than the Kent, but it looks good to me... and the guy (after creepin' on his posts here) seems like a good guy. I'll give it a shot. Is this another case of a lowly beginner buying some gear way above his actual needs? Probably.

I do like the looks of of that reel. Thing is, for my use, I don't need that much reel.. Wish he made a mini version...

I also have a custom backplate from him. My Kent reels were a used item purchase here on SB years back, and were already here in the US, and a great deal. Yeah, they are good, but I certainly couldn't justify a new one.. and I wish mine was a lefty...

I do like the looks of of that reel. Thing is, for my use, I don't need that much reel.. Wish he made a mini version...
Oh, it's way more line than I need.

There's a compact spool option.

He also has Gen2 versions (I'm assuming the current one is Gen3) listed that have what appears to be smaller diameter spools, though, the overall size looks roughly the same.

I figured if the size is too much, I'll look into modifying it and making it smaller. The possibilities are endless when you've got a machine shop.

Yeah, you got the toys. (jealous)... I'd be buying or borrowing one of the plastic ones, and making an improved/modified one out of your shop...

Apeks has one too, but for $260, I'm no way buying one of them..

A compact 100' ratchet reel would be nice... and killer if it was left handed...

I'd really like one that is both left and right handed. Ideally, would be omni-handed. Realistically would likely require a light "change-over" to go from left to right and back... hopefully without any additional parts.

Back
Top Bottom