Reel for Dive flag/Surface Marker Buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@SubseaSports You make a "reely" nice reel. I've got a couple dives on it, and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback. I may have to steal your 'line'...

Something you may have already figured out is it that the reel can be used by both hands. Meaning, by inverting your right hand reel and placing it in your right and wind with your left. If you have something else clipped to it's bolt snap, this won't work of course. The reel winds one way, so you can't screw it up. The thumb lever will on the bottom, so definitely not convenient to deploy using it this way. In a pinch, it will work.

I regularly switch hands in a drift dive scenario and am easily able to use the thumb lever to release line when needed.

I had this concept where the ratchet gear was on a keyway on a sleeve on the shaft for the for the reel. The release could be a double lever (on each side of the handle frame). Switching the reel side would then involve flipping the ratchet gear so it properly engaged/locked with the reverse turn of winding with the other hand...

@Johnoly I do not have any of my products at the dive shop level, yet.
I have gone back and forth on this so at some point it will probably happen.

I will more than likely be at Dema as a Non-Exhibiting Manufacturer/Supplier this year. Just need to sus out my schedule.

I, and my wife, have the Apeks Lifeline Ascend. Yes they are expensive but they are as perfect a reel as you could ask for. Solid, well built using good materials and work when you need it with minimal fuss even with heavy gloves or cold water. We have used many times without any complaints versus other reels and spools. My left handed wife can reverse the reel versus my right handed configuration.

I, and my wife, have the Apeks Lifeline Ascend. Yes they are expensive but they are as perfect a reel as you could ask for. Solid, well built using good materials and work when you need it with minimal fuss even with heavy gloves or cold water. We have used many times without any complaints versus other reels and spools. My left handed wife can reverse the reel versus my right handed configuration.

Looks like a nice reel, would probably be adequate for most rec level DSMB deployments. It is not enough line to use with a dive flag in SE FL. I have much more line than that on my Manta Jr with DGX Dacron line and often have much of it out in very brisk current, Flexibility is the key. The scope of the flag line is similar to the scope of an anchor line.

It is available in 60m for those that prefer more line/flexibility.

It is available in 60m for those that prefer more line/flexibility.

That might work, I have well in excess of 250 ft of DGX Dacron line on my Manta Jr reel. I have not had all to the line out to date.

Back
Top Bottom