DIR- GUE Reel for Cave 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently signed up for Cave 1 at ZG, and I want to get a primary reel. It seems like Halcyon Pathfinder is the gold standard, but they are quite pricey ($300+ in Norway), and I've heard about a possible issue with dissimilar metal corrosion between the SS lock screw and the aluminum frame.

It seems Light Monkey is also popular, and they have a reel in all-Delrin that they claim is better because the mentioned corrosion issue. It looks functionally identical, and is also cheaper.

In Europe I also can get a DirZone Reel in Delrin and anodized aluminum, similar to the Halcyon, I guess? Only difference I can see, is the extra lip on the frame "encapsulating" the top/bottom of the reel - don't know if this is an advantage or not?

Any input on what to get? Any thoughts on build quality and choice of materials? Is corrosion an issue? The light monkey seems to be the cheapest option, but unless I can have somebody get it to ZG for me, shipping would probably make it less viable. I can get the Halcyon locally and at ZG (maybe cheaper there), and the DirZone would be marginally cheaper shipped from Germany.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 17
I got someone to buy a Light Monkey for my birthday but I had to lend him money to drill a water well first

My thinking when I was in your position was that I had enough to fret over in preparing for Cave 1 without fretting over which reel to buy. For me, in the US, the obvious choices were Halcyon or LM. I looked at both, decided the differences and prices were minimal, so I went with the Halcyon. I currently have two Halcyon Pathfinder 400s. No corrosion.

How much money is this costing you to take Cave 1 in Mexico (assuming you still live in Oslo)? The cost of a reel is minimal compared to the cost of training (and travel in your case) and will last you the rest of your life. I bet you spent plenty on a primary light and backup lights. I know I did.

Corrosion is not an issue unless you are diving salt water caves, and even then, corrosion can be avoided by rinsing your gear. That's an interesting story about the possibility of corrosion between the lock screw and the frame on the Pathfinder, but it seems far-fetched to me.

By the way, who is your instructor? Fred or Chris or someone else? You're going to have so much fun!

My light monkey reels handle didn’t spin and I had to fix it. I prefer the halcyon one I got next.

How much money is this costing you to take Cave 1 in Mexico (assuming you still live in Oslo)? The cost of a reel is minimal compared to the cost of training (and travel in your case) and will last you the rest of your life. I bet you spent plenty on a primary light and backup lights. I know I did.
This trip is definitely costing me a lot, which is why I don't want to spend more than I need on a reel. I want to spend my money where it counts, which is why I don't mind spending money on training. If the Pathfinder is the best reel for the application and is highly recommended, I'll probably still get it, but if I find out a DTD reel for half the price does the trick, I don't want to splurge just to get the H.

Corrosion is not an issue unless you are diving salt water caves, and even then, corrosion can be avoided by rinsing your gear. That's an interesting story about the possibility of corrosion between the lock screw and the frame on the Pathfinder, but it seems far-fetched to me.
Hmm, I think dissimilar metal corrosion is also an issue in fresh water. In any case, I do a lot of local diving in the ocean, and I would want to be able to use the reel here as well. Maybe it's a non-issue though. Maybe the coating Halcyon use on the handle prevents it?

By the way, who is your instructor? Fred or Chris or someone else? You're going to have so much fun
Chris. He's been highly recommended and his resume is impressive, to say the least. I'm very excited and a little nervous, but mostly excited.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom