Reefs in Key West compared to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you mention the Vandenberg and others...IIRC the KW dive shops plan that as a 95' (top deck) 17 minute dive, with a 1 hour surface interval and then a second dive. (Hey, time is money.) And that 95' top deck is ignoring the temptations of 130-150' bottom depths. I know, everyone is an expert and they are in the business...but it seems like the short surface intervals especially make some of the profiles they use, violate some of the tables. FWIW.

Opinions? Better operators?

South Point Divers setups up odd rules in mine and other's opinions. They limit to 100' and x minutes (thought it was 20) regardless of NDLs or skill/cert level. They might be good for the vacation diver but not for a proficient diver. Read the reviews and you will see a number of people were surprised by the very conservative and required profile. The 1hr SI is normal for all of them.

I found, like sportxlh that Captain's Corner lets you do your profile. I came on with a CCR and their comment when I told them I was following a recreational profile was good (with a sigh of relief). They had no problem with us going to NDLs. I will highly recommend Captain's Corner - just do not wear shoes on their boat!

Another vote for Captains Corner if you do not do a custom charter. Their boat is big and holds a lot of divers, It was full the day I went because there was an art display of photographs mounted on the wreck (very cool), but it was very well managed, with a good dive briefing and well organized getting the divers on and off the boat. They did not nanny you on profiles or check your computer or time your surface interval. It was a good op and I would use them again.

As for profiles, there is no reason to set a deep profile. I limited myself to 100 feet max as I prefer longer dives--who wants 15 minutes when you can stay longer? Also, there is no compelling reason to go deeper, as once you get below the main deck there is not much to see except the vertical sides of the ship. All of the good and interesting structure is up above th deck, and I spend most of my dive at 90' and saw the best of everything. the wreck structure is spectacular, but not much big animal life when I went.

As for reefs, I am surprised no one had mentioned Looe Key. It is 25 miles up the road from Key West and is a marine preserve. No need for a special charter--call Looe Key Dive Resort they have morning and afternoon trips (and pretty reasonable rooms also). The reefs there are the equal of anything in Key Largo and some say even better. They are shallow so you can get a ton of bottom time. When I dove there last, there was big goliath grouper under he boat and 5 reef sharks, plus a huge free swimming moray.

I would do the Vandy one day and Looe Key the following morning.

Another vote for Captains Corner if you do not do a custom charter. Their boat is big and holds a lot of divers, It was full the day I went because there was an art display of photographs mounted on the wreck (very cool), but it was very well managed, with a good dive briefing and well organized getting the divers on and off the boat. They did not nanny you on profiles or check your computer or time your surface interval. It was a good op and I would use them again.

As for profiles, there is no reason to set a deep profile. I limited myself to 100 feet max as I prefer longer dives--who wants 15 minutes when you can stay longer? Also, there is no compelling reason to go deeper, as once you get below the main deck there is not much to see except the vertical sides of the ship. All of the good and interesting structure is up above th deck, and I spend most of my dive at 90' and saw the best of everything. the wreck structure is spectacular, but not much big animal life when I went.

As for reefs, I am surprised no one had mentioned Looe Key. It is 25 miles up the road from Key West and is a marine preserve. No need for a special charter--call Looe Key Dive Resort they have morning and afternoon trips (and pretty reasonable rooms also). The reefs there are the equal of anything in Key Largo and some say even better. They are shallow so you can get a ton of bottom time. When I dove there last, there was big goliath grouper under he boat and 5 reef sharks, plus a huge free swimming moray.

I would do the Vandy one day and Looe Key the following morning.
Remember, Captain's Corner got rid of the Sea Eagle, and now have the little Sea Eagle. It's about the same size as all of the other boats.

Interesting about the KW vs. KL reef comparison; word of mouth I've overhead or read historically favored KL, so I'm curious about the 'off the beaten path' option. Wookie would know, so I take it that's some quality KW diving that only some dive op.s go to.

Seems logical most any dive op. in an area has an interest in taking his customers to the best available diving, if we exclude newbies with poor buoyancy control perhaps.

Why do only some operators go 'off the beaten path?' Is it a farther trip, most cost in gas, what?

Richard.

Yes. The reefs around Key West have been impacted by dredging, our daily invasion of cruise ships, which result in snorkel boats with hundreds of reef huggers etc. enjoying the reef. These reefs are the ones with the mooring buoys, and therefore, where the dive boats also go.

To really see what Key West has to offer, making arrangements with Finz Diving, Keys Mobile diver, and other smaller boats is required. They run 6 pack charters to the less dived farther away reefs, for a price.

Since you now know that you will be based in Key Largo only, do yourself a favor and reserve a spot with Rainbow Reef Dive Center for your dive days. They run morning and afternoon trips. In the mornings you have the option of the deep (wreck) trip or the shallow (reef) trip. Guides are included, so you'll have the opportunity to see/learn more during your dives and since you're traveling alone that might be helpful :)

***NOTE: That might be prime Memorial Day week time, hence my suggestion to book ahead. Same goes for accommodations...

South Point Divers setups up odd rules in mine and other's opinions. They limit to 100' and x minutes (thought it was 20) regardless of NDLs or skill/cert level. They might be good for the vacation diver but not for a proficient diver. Read the reviews and you will see a number of people were surprised by the very conservative and required profile

Can confirm. First time diving in Key West, wish we would have known about the 17 minute limit before we booked.

Since you now know that you will be based in Key Largo only, do yourself a favor and reserve a spot with Rainbow Reef Dive Center for your dive days. They run morning and afternoon trips. In the mornings you have the option of the deep (wreck) trip or the shallow (reef) trip. Guides are included, so you'll have the opportunity to see/learn more during your dives and since you're traveling alone that might be helpful :)
***NOTE: That might be prime Memorial Day week time, hence my suggestion to book ahead. Same goes for accommodations...
Yeah, I look to book trips early and the Memorial Day week certainly gave me more impetus. I've already booked the whole week with them. The package deal I got for 6 days of AM and PM trips with nitrox and accommodations was hard to beat - even if I skip a trip or two, I still end up paying a discounted rate overall. I also got a great deal on non-stop flights from here to FLL. MIA was a little cheaper but the general advice seemed to be to avoid it. I'm a pretty hardy traveler and have seen some terrible airports but am going for easy and convenient on this trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom