reefmaster strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
has anyone used this strobe and if so is it a good strobe?i can get one whith the whole kit for 320 canadian..thanks guys..

I actually have two strobes for the Reefamster camera. The strobe vs. the flash makes a BIG difference. On a recent dive, a fellow diver had the same camera but no strobe (dives off of NC). It looked like we were on two totally different dives. I would highly recommend the strobe in lieu of the flash.

The one good thing for Reefmaster, is that all the extras (strobes, macro, etc.) will always fit all their cameras. The Reefmaster setup is not high end, but it does take nice pictures for a moderate price.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeff

thanks but i need to know if its good to use for my canon a85..

For cameras other then Sealife BRAND they came out with a new flash the SL960D.

"Digital Flash which works with all SeaLife cameras and well as all other brands of camera/housing combinations. SeaLife's Digital Flash has 5 pre-flash settings to work with cameras that have up to 4 pre-flashes or the ability to turn the pre-flash off. The SL960D also has a Variable Power adjustment for precise control of the flash's output."

Has a a suggested retail of $349.95 and including, Flash, Arm, Universal base for use with most digital housings, Flash Link Fiber Optic Cable and Deluxe soft carrying case.

I will be getting a few in and testing them out myself :)

snuggle:
has anyone used this strobe and if so is it a good strobe?i can get one whith the whole kit for 320 canadian..thanks guys..
I have the strobe, it is a "slave" unit. the flash of the little flash in the built-in camera triggers the flash. Won't work well with a digital camera the timing is too slow. There is too much "lapse" time for the digital to calculate the exposure.

I did something similar. I played with using an Ikelite AQ/S strobe for the Auto 35 that I picked up cheap with my Oly 5050. After a good bit of playing I think it would had done fine. The biggest problem I found was that there are no power setting on the strobe so I would of had to use diffusers to lower the power. It seemed to work pretty good above water but I never actually got the chance to try it UW because the *&%%%@@!!! strobe flooded on the very first dive. Oh well, I got it all for $20 and my buddy has a camera that still works. If you can get your hands on one real cheap (maybe $50 US) then I would give it a try, otherwise save your money and get a strobe made for the job. One other thing, your camera MUST have the ability to turn off the preflash, otherwise it will not work.

medical1:
For cameras other then Sealife BRAND they came out with a new flash the SL960D.

"Digital Flash which works with all SeaLife cameras and well as all other brands of camera/housing combinations. SeaLife's Digital Flash has 5 pre-flash settings to work with cameras that have up to 4 pre-flashes or the ability to turn the pre-flash off. The SL960D also has a Variable Power adjustment for precise control of the flash's output."

Has a a suggested retail of $349.95 and including, Flash, Arm, Universal base for use with most digital housings, Flash Link Fiber Optic Cable and Deluxe soft carrying case.

I will be getting a few in and testing them out myself :)

Suggest retail of $349 = what street price?

Thanks...

snuggle:

On the Canon S70 one can turn off the preflash using M mode. The preflash is used for measuring exposure, and when the camera is in M mode, guess what, the exposure is Manually controlled so no need for preflash. I can fire studio strobes with the S70, so I assume I can fire anything.

The beauty of this is that one can turn the preflash off AND set the flash to the lowest setting. This *should* allow for use of ANY slaved UW flash unit and reduce any back scatter from the in camera flash.

The A85 has a Manual flash control according to the specs I reviewed, so I would assume no preflash in that mode as why would there be? This however is something you will have to test for youself BEFORE you buy a strobe that has no preflash cancelation.

Back
Top Bottom