Reefmaster Digital Cost Formula - Accurate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even though I hate it when that happens :D :D If the goal is to get u/w then I would look for a used rig. For substantially less than you will spend on something new you can own a nice "low mileage" system. There are plenty of used C3040's and C4040's out there and the PT-10 is a good semi inexpensive way to house them. YOu can always upgrade after saving money by eating at happy hours, recycling beer cans, collecting birthday cash from the relatives, etc. (hey...I was a college student once).

Steve

Let me throw out another option that is very reasonably priced and has great flexibility: the Canon S30.

It's a great 3.3 MP camera that can be had online for $350. Canon makes a housing for it that can be had for $150 online. The camera can be used on automatic very easily, or has just about every manual feature you could want when you wish to expand your control. It's a GREAT snapshot camera since it slips into a shirt pocket very easily.

I've had cropped shots blown up to 8x10 that look great. I think full frame could go much larger. If you want more pixels, the S40 is identical and $100 more at 4MP.

I agree with others to avoid 1.3MP.

While $500 gets you no flash, I've gotten some good results without it. If you'd like to read a review I wrote on the camera, I wrote a gear review at the Rodale's site:

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=465

The review has some samples of UW shots and a link to some topside shots. Also, there is a link there for a great camera review site, IMAGING RESOURCE. It's a great place for you to do further research on any digicam.

Do not short change yourself on your camera. While you don't have to spend a fortune, don't cheap out. Imagine all those once in a lifetime shots (topside and below) that would be special if only they were sharper, or more resolution, or properly exposed.

You're better off, if limited budget, to NOT get a strobe, or even NOT get a housing, than to get a poor quality camera.

And BTW, as a new UW photog myself, I think it's best not to have a strobe for a while. Just adding the camera adds so much to think about and concentrate on. Better to get used to those added tasks first. Wait untill your first night dive: camera in one hand, flashlight in the other, BC hose in .........

GB

I agree totally.

Finesse once bubbled...
you want to get U/W as soon as possible .......
I assume you have other cameras that will take care of land photography.....
Actually, this will be my first digicam! I've borrowed my g/f Coolpix 2mp, but she gets upset when she finds it goes missing all the time. I'm kind of interested in learning about the basics of photography and stuff, and a digital camera is something I've been looking at for a while.

Yes, the goal is to ultimately get underwater, but after looking at some of the perks of the C-5050 (i.e. - the rotating LCD for those lower-ground shots), I just thought of how much fun it would be to take pictures of stuff in general. As for the underwater thing, I've got 2 Fuji disposable 17ft cameras I'm going to take on a manatee trip. I'll see how things turn out with that b4 I make any decisions on a camera purchase.

geebee once bubbled...
Do not short change yourself on your camera. While you don't have to spend a fortune, don't cheap out.
I agree too! I want something I can keep for years to come for pics on both land and U/W.

I'm going to take those 2 disposables and see how I do. If they turn out horrible, I know I need to work on skills. I'd like to try that above water first.

Sorry if some feel I was trolling the U/W photo forum. I just didn't know what I wanted before I jumped into this. I'm glad I didn't run out and buy the reefmaster :wink:

P.S. - Bacchus, I like your tactics :D

You have legitimate questions about U/W cameras ...... and your learning alot with the questions your asking !!!! At least you didnt run out and buy something to regret it later......

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
I'm kind of interested in learning about the basics of photography and stuff, and a digital camera is something I've been looking at for a while.

I'm going to take those 2 disposables and see how I do. If they turn out horrible, I know I need to work on skills. I'd like to try that above water first.

Sorry if some feel I was trolling the U/W photo forum. I just didn't know what I wanted before I jumped into this. I'm glad I didn't run out and buy the reefmaster :wink:

P.S. - Bacchus, I like your tactics :D

I dont have the 5050 but I do believe everyone who has purchased it has had to put some serious land time into learning the camera.......even with the older stuff you couldnt just jump in the water with it.

Spectre and GeeBee had good thoughts about the Canon systems ...Spectre you get good photos with your camera!!!!!

Word of caution with the disposables (I think you know this ....but) be cautious to judge your photographic ability with them......they might not come out like you hope (if the water has limited vis, quality of the print etc...) ..... so dont be to hard on yourself critiquing your results. I had a buddy comparing his throw away camera pics ( I think he could take it to 60-70 feet) with some of my picture and he couldnt understand why the difference......Its Apples and Oranges

If your new to scuba and your adding the camera ...... just becarful..maybe play in the pool for a tankful of air...you've got lots of things you have to
keep an eye on.... Air, buoyancy (or else your killing coral or churning up the bottom....therefore no pics and angry dive buddies) Air, depth, buoyancy, your buddy, BT, Air, buoyancy , BT, your buddy.....you get the idea.....Adding the camera can distract you from other very important things ...... Again Jay, I dont know your diving ability so this may not pertain.....but its just a general statement for anyone fresh into diving and thinking of a camera.....for that matter anyone playing with an U/Wcamera for the first time

Just remember Dee's very wise statement .....about being a diver who takes photos.....

I will admit I'm always listing to others and looking at the 5050 camera and taking another look ....... I just hate the fact that I would have to go buy another housing for it (not to mention the housing I want is just barely on the market)..... Then I've got to get rid of another housing !!!! (I would keep the camera as it has been a really great camera) so I dont know how easily I could sell just my housing.

Have you checked any other systems out ?? or is the heart set on the 5050 ????

First...you certainly are NOT trolling. Picking our brains? Yes....that's partly what we're here for! Brain picking is a very good thing... How do you think we made the decisions we did? :wink:

I really have to agree with judging anything by disposable cameras. With the exception of composition, I can't think of anything that could fairly be judged by using one. Just take the cameras limitations into account before you count on it too much.

A good rule of thumb in any purchase is to buy the best you can afford and learn to use it to the best of it's abilities. Since you are starting from scratch, you can add to your system as you go along. One great thing about digital cameras, especially the Olympus, is the really bright lenses. What that means is you can take photos without a flash or strobe that are not possible with film. Also the internal flashs in digital cameras are alot more powerful that the film cameras, requiring less dependence on an external strobe. Of course, you get the best results with a good strobe but I'm saying it's not necessary to get started. Spend your money on the camera and housing first and add to it. The Oly C-5050/PT-015 rig is a great one and will last you for years.

THANKS for letting me pick your brains :)

I've been looking around on the net at different cameras and the Olympus seems to be a "meatier" camera. I kind of like having a larger camera. It seems like I could keep it still easier. I was playing with the C-5050 at Best Buy today, and I couldn't hardly go through all the features then and there. Soooo much in this camera.

I'm going to save my pennies for a while and see what I can come up with. I did find some nice pics taken with the C-4040 on Rodales
http://www.scubadiving.com/photo/gallery/easley.shtml. (and no strobe!)

Actually, I am curious.....what's the deal with the SLR thing? What does it stand for? what does it do?

SLR is Single Lens Reflex. It means the lens that take the picture and the view finder are one in the same. On an SLR camera, if you leave the lens cap on and look through the view finder, you won't see anything but dark!

I see you found John's pictures. :wink: The albums of pictures taken with the 4040 and no external strobe was the types of photos that made me start wanting to go digital to start with.

Don't let all the features of the 5050 scare you away! At least you won't get bored with it! :D

Has anyone checked out the Nikon Coolpix 4300. I just bought one and hope to have it soon. It will be a long time before I'll be able to afford a housing and strobe for underwater use but was currious as to any thoughts. It's s'posed to be point and shoot (read easy to use) but is also s'posed to have manual ctrl's for more advanced users. I'm still trying to learn how to use my MMII-EX so I didn't think it would be wise for me to get a more advanced camera like the Oly 4040, Oly 5050 or the Coolpix 5000 and was much cheaper

Back
Top Bottom