Reefmaster Digital Cost Formula - Accurate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, let's say I go and buy the Olympus C-4040 or whatever nice digicam.

Try my hand at "above water" photography for a while. If I find that I like photography, I invest in the housing and the strobe at a later date.

Any recommendations for this? I've heard you can do more with a 35mm photos than with digital (i.e. - adjust shutter speeds, etc.). But can't duplicate these effects w/Photoshop? What kind of things do I have to keep in mind here?

Just wanted to hear from the experts on this one :D

Thanks all for your replies so far.

One omission I see in your cost formula is printing. If you don't intend to print anything, never mind. If you do however, you need to consider the cost of the printer/paper/ink or the cost of having an outside printer do it. I still like a old timey photo album, it's a lot easier to pass around than the laptop and a lot less stressful when it gets dropped..

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
I've heard you can do more with a 35mm photos than with digital (i.e. - adjust shutter speeds, etc.). But can't duplicate these effects w/Photoshop? What kind of things do I have to keep in mind here?

The C-4040, as well as others, has a full manual mode where you select all the parameters....lighting, aperture, shutter speed.

What effects are you wanting to duplicate in Photoshop? I don't understand this one.

Keep in mind that topside photography is just a tad different that underwater. But you'll learn to use the camera and decide if you like photography in general at all. There's nothing wrong with doing it a step at a time.

Sorry Dee....I didn't know you could do all that w/the Olympus. I was just interested in effects like zooming lights (i.e. - cars moving fast by a stationary object). It can be accomplished w/the shutter speed like you said :) Thanks for the reassurance!

I'm kinda sold on the Olympus C-4040. Only thing I don't really like about it is the SmartMedia (I prefer CompactFlash - IMHO more durable). BTW - I found the housing for $250-$300, so I guess I'm around $700 for the whole setup.....but for something that will last me for years to come? - I guess it's worth it.

Herman,
I'd planned on an online photo album or something like that. I had some plans to print, but that's not going to be the majority of the output type.

The C-4040 is my favorite! :wink: Sometimes I wish it DIDN'T do all those things! It's also one of the breasons we tell everyone you still have to know the basics of photography. Knowing how apertures and shutterspeeds work together you can get any results you want...blurry backgrounds and sharp subjects or a single colorfull fish with a black background, for instance.

I almost didn't buy mine because of the SM card but I'm glad now I did. The SM has held up to some pretty rigorous usage in the last year with no problems. I sort of wish they were larger than 128mg but then again I don't really need it. I shoot in SHQ mode and the 75 shots I get are seldom all used on a dive or sometimes even two dives. I have to replace my batteries every other dive anyway so I go ahead and replace the card too.

As for printing...I also like photo albums. I pay about 40¢ ea. for 4x6 prints. I tend to only print the best ones. Or I'll have 8x10's done. The others I'll print myself. It's still lots cheaper than when I was using film.

Well, looks like you've been talked into the Oly setup. I have to agree with everyone. I have a Reefmaster film camera, which I loved until I went digital. I took about 2 seconds to look at thier digital, and went with the Oly. Also, you will not need the strobe right away. In fact, I recommend working with camera UW for a while without the strobe, and then upgrade a little later.

Okay, now you guys have done it!

Of course, now I'm looking at the C-5050. For $150-$200 more I can have a rotating LCD, better rez, more versatile storage options (since I already own a 128mb CF card for my PDA), etc.

The housing will be out of the question for a while. Ever seen the beer commercial w/the 2 guys at the supermarket who opt for "paper"? That'll be Dr. Jay.....BROKE! :dead:

With that in mind, anyone think the Oly C-5050 is worth the extra bucks?

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Okay, now you guys have done it!

Of course, now I'm looking at the C-5050. For $150-$200 more I can have a rotating LCD, better rez, more versatile storage options (since I already own a 128mb CF card for my PDA), etc.

The housing will be out of the question for a while. Ever seen the beer commercial w/the 2 guys at the supermarket who opt for "paper"? That'll be Dr. Jay.....BROKE! :dead:

There's only three things that would make me consider upgrading to the 5050, in order....1) the versatile storage options 2) the super macro feature 3)better resolution. And all three have pro's and con's. to me, the trade-offs aren't worth it. But that's from someone who's totally pleased with the C-4040!

:wink:

you want to get U/W as soon as possible .......

Dr. Jay once bubbled...

The 5050 is nice but if your unable to get the housing ....ummm....whats the point !!! I assume you have other cameras that will take care of land photography.....

It may have already been suggested but what about scouting around for a used system or , if you can find one, something like the 3040 or the 4040 and the Olympus housing PT-010 or the Canon systems many around here have ..... (I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt put together that system for what the 5050 is retailing around)

Dont forget just because that Olympus housing (for the 5050) seems affordable, at $300, you will soon need a tray and arms for it if you buy an external strobe these things add up quickly!!!

Just my thoughts!!!

Scott

... I was deciding between the Canon A40 and the reefmaster. It didn't take long for my decision to be made, as I was able to price the Canon out to be cheaper than the reefmaster, for a much better camera.

Yes, the Olympus is far far superior than either, but if your just looking for something simple and cost is a big factor, the A40 can't be beat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom