Reefmaster Digital Cost Formula - Accurate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
So.....I've been tooling over purchasing an underwater camera system, which comes after my first wreck dive recently (wow :eek:, what pics I could have taken!).

I'm looking at the Reefmaster in particular (since a nicer digital cam + the housing is going to be more - avg. $500 for Ikelite housings). However, I'm unsure of whether to spend the extra $$$ on the digital. I've come up with this cost formula and intend to test its accuracy here :D (all prices from Leisurepro).

Reefmaster SL560 set (35mm w/external strobe and macro lens)
$320
Reefmaster DC200 set (digital 1.3 megapixel w/external strobe and macro lens)
$540 - $50 rebate = $490

Avg. cost for film and processing w/35mm - $15

So....I would have to process about 12 rolls of film to equal the price difference for the digital....
$490 - $320 = $170 / $15 = 11.33 rolls

And my question is...
Would I be better off going with the digital setup, or saving up in the long run for a nicer camera? Keep in mind, this is my first U/W camera purchase (so a beginner system would be ideal).

Anyone have a Reefmaster Digital? and, do you like it? Also, am I accurate with my cost comparisons? Will the digital be better off in the long run?

I think you're right on with your costs. That's why people go digital for land cameras. It takes very little time (usually only 1 vacation) for the digital to pay for itself.

Now as far as the DC200 goes. I've played with one in the pool.
You know the pros, price, you get a strobe, there are additions that you can get cheap, 3x close up, 40mm wide angle, 8x and 16x macro etc. All the stuff for the 35mm reffmasters works for the DC200, you can't get a more user friendly upgrade option..I think.

Some other thoughts:
It's not a BAD camera, but for a little(or lot, depending on your point of view)the ammount you're paying, you could possibly do better. For expample: The Olympus C4000 is about $450. Olympus makes a housing for it that's $250. Now, you'll need, or want a strobe and you're already up $300 from the DC200, but...

The C4000 is a 4 megapixle that does all kinds of neat stuff and will be a great camera for years to come.

The housing for the C4000 lets you switch between macro and reg, review and delete your shots while underwater. The DC200 DOES NOT. You shoot and have to get back to dry land/boat to open the housing and check/delete pics. Now if you get even a 64 meg CF chip for it, you're going to be able to shoot over 200 pictures without comming close to filling the card up at 1.3 megapixel so deleteing to make room is kinda moot.

Have you looked at the actual camera in the case of the DC200? It's plastic and feels very cheap, like the kind you can get when you poen a checking account. I just can't put a lot of stock into it for being a very rugged camera.

Stay away from that camera. Save up your $$ and get a nicer housed digital camera. The digital reefmaster camera is only 1.3 megapixel, has fixed focus, no manual settings, and very limited functionality. As norcaldiver already said, for a few hundred more you can get a really nice setup that will be much more capable. A very capable Canon or an Olympus 4MP camera in an OEM housing and with an external strobe can be had for about $1000. Yes, it's $500 more than the reefmaster, but you get all the extra functionality (including macro mode and manual setting capability, EXIF, etc.) and a MUCH better quality of the shots.

-Roman.

Your figures are right but in my opinion you'd be wasting money on the Reefmaster. As has been mentioned, for a few hundred more you can have a very versatile set-up that will last you for several years, if not longer, with a higer quality camera/housing that will last you for years.

Another choice is to pick up one of the used OlyC-4040/PT-10 set-ups that are appearing on the market now. These are excellent cameras, easy to use and are only being replaced for newer cameras with more bells and whistles.

Remember I'm looking for a starter digital camera. Does it really cost this much to start in underwater photography? - $800-$1000? OUCH! Barriers to entry :wink:?

I've seen a refurb. Olympus 4040 for about $400 - that's w/no housing. Then I'm looking at $300-$500 for a housing and still no strobe? I'm not looking to take award winning pics, and I can probably doctor some of them up in Photoshop. This is a bit more than I was willing to spend originally. The digital Reefmaster was kind of pushing it, but I figured I'd save in film processing and the hassles.

What if I stink as a photographer? What will the resale value be on the Olympus? The Reefmaster? I'll be interested to see the progression of Crimson's "starter camera" thread. I just picked the Reefmaster because I've seen it all over the place. Any other cameras (35mm or digital) that can come close to my $400-$500 price range?

norcaldiver,
Here's some info from the Sea-life website on the DC200:
"Instant Delete! The real beauty of digital photos is that you can save just your good shots and delete the bad ones. With the Instant Delete function, every time you shoot a shot it will be displayed in the Large 1.8 inch monitor asking "Delete Current?" appearing for 4 seconds. If you like the shot – do nothing. If you don't like it, simply hit the shutter button again and it will remove it from memory without having to change modes! This makes it easier and faster to make sure you get only the shots you want!"

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a super-camera. But remember, Dr. Jay = Broke College Student. I just had a little extra money to spend and I thought a decent camera would be a nice thing to try my hand at underwater photos. :bonk:

Now I'm really confused :confused:!

Dee once bubbled...
Another choice is to pick up one of the used OlyC-4040/PT-10 set-ups that are appearing on the market now.

That's actually the camera of choise for me. Where are you seeing these. I've been all over ebay and the like.

should be less than $500.00 or so - try www.bhphotovideo.com for starters. The camera has a real manual mode, the housing allows access to all controls. Note, I don't have this system, but did research it before deciding on the Oly 5050/PT-015 combo (at lots more dollars :-( ) Just a thought

Titletowndiver once bubbled...
1.3 megapixel says it all.....Don't buy it!

Well....I'll tell ya what. I have an old Sony Mavica that's 1.3 MP and I take it to concerts, throw it in my glove compartment, etc. If I break it, it's an old camera, but I constantly get people complementing my on my pictures. They are crystal clear and all with only 1.3 MP.

1.3 works if you know what you're doing and know the limits of the camera.

I always suggest people take a look that the Sony P9 because I know across the net it can be had from reputable places such as Dell online sales for $420 Delivers, and I have seen the housings for less than $200 regularly on Ebay, now what you get is a decent 4.1 megapixel camera, that has some expansion. Now strobes are about $250 for this setup, Epoque, but you get a longer life span camera with lot more features.

Travis
Email if you want samples, details or places that I have seen cheap prices. That being said I just replaced that with a Olympus C5050Z with a PT-015 housing, so far I am into everything 600 for camera 250 for housing, 850 and I have something I can use for a few years and get really nice 11x14 prints from.

Travis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom