Reefguy's Venice Beach Tooth Finding Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent summation.

Reefguy - Thanks so much for this post. I'm diving Venice this summer and decided to run a little search. This is one of the first things that came up. Everything I needed to know...

Here's a question for you VB locals - what's a good beach that I can dive from that would also allow the kiddos and the wife to search for teeth from the shore? Or is it safe to say that any of the dive spots you've mentioned will also have teeth on the beach?

Thanks again!

Bravo.

You can find some teeth at any of the beaches mentioned above. Right at the shoreline is a 6" or so ledge. Look along this ledge for spots that have lots of shells. Scoop up a handful of shells look for teeth. You can find a dozen or so an hour like this.

i want to go there tomorrow. how do i get there?

copied and pasted what i sent to one of the other guys here for all, i hope they work good for you as well as him too.
now just keep in mind that i dove these spots before the hurricanes went through and have not been back there since, the vis was way too poor for my taste.
also i have noticed that people call spots by all kinds of names so i am not 100 % sure either of these are the actual "bone yard" i just know that a couple of people i know have called it that and i found a bunch of really good teeth at both these sites and also my largest teeth too.

the first spot is not too far from the pier , no structure just flat bottom of broken shells and teeth everywhere.

N 27*05.005
W 82*27.844

the second spot is a little north west of the first, there will be a small ledge with about a two foot relief near the center of the north eastern section. i found a few good teeth here and then moved over about two hundred yards north west of the ledge to another spot that was flat and covered with teeth everywhere and had alot of dark black patches with very good teeth and a few bones too.

N 27*05.050
W 82*28.004

i have also had some really good luck a hundred yards or so west from just between the two swim markers right off the venice public beach , i just went down right after i passed the bouys and kept heading west untill i got to the reef line then went over top of it to the west side then followed it south and i found a really big section that was all black crushed shell, rock, bone and a crap load of perfect teeth.

i hope this info helps you , if it does lat me know, if not, still, let me know, cause as soon as the water warms up to the mid to high 70's i will start going back out there again and if i find any new spots that are good, i will let you know.

good luck,
wesley

What great accurate information. I am new to Florida and dove Venice for the first time this month. Had great success. Found over 1,000 sharks teeth, 10 megalodon teeth, 1 mammoth tooth, 2 whale teeth, 1 whale vertebrae, 1 shark vertebrae and several other bone fossils. I am totally hooked. The best dive for fossils and meg teeth were with Scuba West. The other shark teeth shore diving from the northern most parking area by the fishing pier in 17 ' of water. Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the area.

Hey all, I'm living in Jacksonville, and drooling at the thought of diving Venice. Is there anyone in NE FL that would like to make the drive down there with me? I'd be interested in like an early Sunday morning start, dive a few hours, and head back in the afternoon. I can pull my boat there, or heck, could even paddle out in a canoe. Any takers? Email me at mseese@bellsouth.net

Mike

great info especially for us beginners! question tho..what has changed since you last wrote that post..ie...developement in the area? parking restrictions etc? thanks..Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom