Reef Scratch/injury question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccx2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Been back from Akumal Mexico one month and the last day i was there i scraped myself [stomach]pretty good on a rock/sea growth bottom. I didnt do anything really to treat it but poured some alcohol/peroxcide mix on it back at the hotel ,it was slow to heal and stayed red for about two weeks but i didnt pay much attention to it, but now that it has healed over there is still a reddish/purplish area under the skin the intire area of the scratch.
Same thing happened while in Isla Mujeris ,i scrapped my knee on the reef and it took forever to heal.
Anyone aware of a certain infection or something from injuries from reefs ? Anyone else had this experience ?
Thanks.

Coral cuts are renowned for taking a long time to heal and for getting infected. Personally I always take some antibiotics with me on a tropical trip in case this happens.

Might want to get a skin or some other sort of protection.

Why the scrapes? Perhaps working on buoyancy would help prevent future scrapes??

Not sure if this has contributed to your problem, but you should never clean an open wound/scrape with peroxide or alcohol. Both will damage the tissue. Clean the undamaged skin around the wound with alcohol/peroxide to help prevent infection, but the wound itself should be cleaned with water.

It's possible that you have some retained fragments. Keep a close eye out for signs of infection - redness, swelling, drainage, warmth, fever; and get medical attention immediately if you see any of those. Other than that, there's not much you can do. Ditto dlofting on the cleaning - a good soap and water scrub is milder than alcohol or peroxide and just as effective.

Best regards,
DDM

You may have reef blight, it is caused by the bacteria and small creatures that inhabit and survive on the reef, they attack anything that comes too close and poison the offending host. It can be life threatening and cause impotence. some people experience headache involuntary convulsions and an uncontrollable desire to drink salt water. If the condition continues for more than 4 hours seek medical attention.

best to stay away from the reef and not touch it. the life you save may be your own.

Woof. Time to update the textbook.

Might want to get a skin or some other sort of protection.

Why the scrapes? Perhaps working on buoyancy would help prevent future scrapes??
I thought this question might come around :). Really, i did.
Actually both injuries came from when falling in shin/knee deep water while wade fishing over sea growth covered rocky bottom.
I have good Buoyancy control thank you but figured divers would have a better knowledge of this kind of scrape/injury .
Thank you for all replies.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 09:29 PM ----------

You may have reef blight, it is caused by the bacteria and small creatures that inhabit and survive on the reef, they attack anything that comes too close and poison the offending host. It can be life threatening and cause impotence. some people experience headache involuntary convulsions and an uncontrollable desire to drink salt water. If the condition continues for more than 4 hours seek medical attention.

best to stay away from the reef and not touch it. the life you save may be your own.
I remember in my younger days my surf buddies that were fortunate and got to surf Hawaii would get gouged on the reef on a fall and have problems with it healing and get some sort of infection.
Thanks for your help. Sorry to bother you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom