Reef Pirates, Big Kahuna, Aquazone on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimchim

Registered
Reaction score
I just came back from a week visit on Oahu. Since my family does not dive, I could only fit in one outing. This is my experience and I want to share. These are facts and that's it.

On reading this board, I checked out Reef Pirates. I called them twice and emailed them twice and they never got back to me.

Because I never got a response from Reef Pirates, I checked out the tour books (ThisWeek Oahu) and ended up calling up Big Kahuna (prodivehawaii.com). They seemed friendly and told me about a Wed dive which avoided the high surf of Mon-Tues. I signed up and gave info.

Wed rolls around, which happens to be my last day of the trip before flying out the next day, and I wait at the hotel lobby for the 7:15 pick up time.

7:30 rolls by

7:45 rolls by, so I call them. Big Kahuna tells me, "oh, we cancelled that tour this morning because we can't start the boat... we tried to contact you". However, there are NO messages on my cell phone (the number I had left) and no messages at the hotel I stayed at. The guy on the phone starts using profanity even though I'm completely composed, "we tried to contact you, I don't know what the hell is going on". I make zero-statements of accusation and ask for other tours that I might be able to join last minute. He gives me 2 phone numbers.

Via the concierge and one of the numbers I get referred to Aquazone who has room and I get to join them for a nice 2 tank off Hawaii Kai. They comment that I just barely caught them... 5 min later and I would have missed them.

Aquazone ran a nice casual tour off a relatively small boat (no toilet) and went to barges. Oddly, for the first time in my scuba life, I was the most experienced customer on the tour. They ran a good tour and I have no complaints. As far as scuba equipement goes, everything was great. They were just a low-frills tour and a bit expensive at $129. But I can't complain because of the last minute booking.

I feel like I got screwed from Big Kahuna. So that's my experience. Take it for what it's worth. I have no idea why Reef Pirates wouldn't contact me. I gave them 2 methods and 2 separate messages with my phone number.

I'm a OW PADI certified diver of 12 years but I don't go very often. I've logged about 25-30 dives in my life. I've gone to most of the common Oahu sites, except Corsair.

Previously I had use Captain Bruce off Waianae (family lived closer to there) several times and was very pleased with them. This time I was in waikiki and wanted south/east shore this time.

Also... I'd like to say thank you to this board for giving me the suggestion to use P mode and custom white balance and no flash on the Canon cameras to get photos. This really improved my colors over the last time.

Hey there! I noticed "Reef Pirates" and thought I would take a look.... I actually dove with them in December and absolutely loved them! I went to them unrecommended.

The picture on my profile is actually from one of their dives.

It's unfortunate that they didn't call you back but they're a top notch outfit for sure. I wouldn't hold it against them, the owner Sean does a lot of the dives himself and is super customer oriented, too bad they don't have underwater cell phones!

See ya....

Big Kahuna, hmmm how the mighty have fallen. once upon a time he was a real cool guy. sorry to hear you had a bad trip...but next time you are on the Island give us a call Waikiki Dive Center our shop owns two boats to meet your diving needs and a crew you will enjoy diving with.
http://picasaweb.google.com/divemastermarco/DaCrew#5445099246967209634

I really have to share this with you guys as it is very funny to me. first of all I dont think I said anything negitive about greg or his operation, if i did some one please point it out to me. secondly greg took an awesome pic of me right next to a sting ray afew years back and i had recently asked him for a copy of it. well he sent me an email telling me to delete my negitive comment here and he would give me the pic, as my negitive comment was affecting his dive op.you know there are some really good small dive ops on this island and its treatment like what was discribed here that give them a bad name. greg keep the pic bro.

I have dove with Big Kahuna for years and Greg is up there with the nicest people I have ever met. I am a PADI Instructor and would recommend Greg to anyone. The original post described a bad expierence. I can remember a few days in many years that trips were cancelled due to mechanical problems. The most dissapointing thing about the post is Big Kahuna is at the mercy of other dive operators. The boat described was likely the "dive barge" built by John Fredricks. The boat was built over 30 years ago. The good news is Island Divers Hawaii has put in a lot of effort recently to restore it. It is a great and easy boat to dive off and has the best crew on the island.

best crew on the island? you insult alot of people. though mats a nice guy. as for greg dude you can try to come to his recue all you want. if a man aint willing to stand up admit when they are wrong and not willing to defend themself then 1.I lose all respect for them 2.im not going to try to defend someone that wont defend themself.

gee i must be making it all up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom