REEF Fish ID Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a dive buddy who is certified/authorized to give this course. As I understand it, there is a hour or so of lecture and then a couple of dives (which are acutally optional).

I think (I will check) the course is free (and if not, I think the cost is minimal) and I thought I'd ask if anyone else were interesting in taking the course as a preface to a day of Satuday diving...maybe as the first hour or so of Cape Ann #3?

I definitely want to take it b/c I continue to see cool things which I would like to be able to identify a little more accurately. If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

Thx,
Matthew

I've taken it... well, twice now :) [never had dives though]

just remember one important thing.... when searching for wolf-fish, you often have to move bugs out of the way. Occasionally those bugs wind up in your bag...

I love fish counting! "Silvia... figure out what that one is over there while I see if there is a wolf fish behind this lobster!"

I'm pointing out a brightly colored grubby sculpin swimming through the seaweed near some squid egg cases, and Spectre has no idea what I'm pointing at... there wasn't anywhere nearby for a lobster to be hiding!
:confused:

but the woman teaching the class was from florida. I wouldn't mind a refresher with someone who's familiar with the local fish.

Originally posted by MSilvia
but the woman teaching the class was from florida. I wouldn't mind a refresher with someone who's familiar with the local fish.

Like someone that knows the difference between a left and right eyed flounder???

there wasn't anywhere nearby for a lobster to be hiding!

Yea... we definately have to come up with some signals to go with the point... 'cause when I'm in lobster mode, every pointing results in me sticking my head in the sand to try and look under a rock!

How about a claw-pinching motion?

Originally posted by Spectre

Yea... we definately have to come up with some signals to go with the point... 'cause when I'm in lobster mode, every pointing results in me sticking my head in the sand to try and look under a rock!

Originally posted by MSilvia
How about a claw-pinching motion?

Yea... that'll work. lobster claws followed by pointing, and a fishy-swimmy motion followed by pointing [so I know to ignore that pointing! :]

Back
Top Bottom