reef fish and coral identification guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai, is the full title Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-East Asia [emphasis mine]? If so, I have had this book for many years, and I have to admit that I never crack it open any longer. While it appears to be very comprehensive with many times more fish per page than other guides, and while I may be able to confirm that a fish I'm familiar with is indeed the one in the book despite the fact that the illustration is very different, I just don't like the book much. For fish I'm uncertain of, I've found this book to be rather confusing. In many cases the images were painted from dead specimens, which means the identifying characteristics are no longer the same as in live animals. Furthermore, the focus is so very Australian (despite the mention of SE Asia in the title) that for me, when added to the problems with the illustrations, it's just too much to wade through and evaluate. I really hope you like it better than I do and that my objections are idiosyncratic!

Quero, you may an older edition which was geared toward Australia. The newer edition does not mention Australia in the title and has additional illustrations by a different artist. The fish descriptions include habitats throughout Southeast Asia. Only time will tell whether or not it's useful to me. After browsing it a bit, though, I find that it may have too many illustrations!

You're probably right about the edition. I bought it years and years ago. I will be interested in hearing your assessment, once you've had a chance to work with the book a little.

I'm a fan of Humann and Deloach books as well. Another book I like is "Coral Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific" by Gosliner, Behrens and Williams. It covers some of the corals, sponges as well as lots of critters.

Chuck, I saw that book on a boat once and immediately wanted it! It's now on my Amazon wish list for when one of my kids decides to send me a Mom's Day gift or something! (Somebody, please tell them, LOL!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom