Redundant bouyancy in DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Why way off? We use them in Florida. Water temps can be 80F+. No one said you had to wear anything underneath them, and they have nearly no thermal properties. Speaking of a shell suit, not a neoprene drysuit.

Point taken on that aspect. But just add something more to my curiousities. If we are to be diving in a dry suit for buoyancy redundancy purposes, would be be easier to add a back-up wing since there is that one extra inflation to think of anyway. :huh:

Anyway, got some interesting explanation from Vie via PM. Thanks a ton!!!

Well, if you add a backup wing, how will you hook it up? Leave the inflator unplugged? If you run a hose to it, which post do you run in from? If you get a runaway inflation issue, how do you vent or know which one to vent? If one fails and you don't leave the second one with a hose on it, can you remove the LP hose on one, and affix it to the other while you tread water?

I think it's FAR easier to just have a drysuit, and hit the inflate button. But to each his own.

In DIR perspective I know that having a back-up wing isn't the option. But I am just not personally sure that the drysuit (for redundant buoyancy purpose) would be an option I will look into for now. In any case, thanks for the suggestion. Had to admit that the dry suit option did gave me some thoughts. I was actually thinking about what loosebit suggested if a back-up or double bladder is being used.

Anyway, will be receiving my doubles soon so would probably be focusing on getting used to the buoyancy and drill thing for now.

PerroneFord:
I think it's FAR easier to just have a drysuit, and hit the inflate button. But to each his own.

I think its far easier to dive AL doubles in that situation than to buy a D/S. When the water temps are in the mid 80's as they often get in parts of the world diving dry is not an option or not the best option.

The question on the table was backup buoyancy. Of course starting with the correct tanks is helpful! :wink:

Folks,

Since this is the DIR forum, I've deleted any posts that did not appear to me to be from a DIR perspective.

Knowing that I have less than perfect knowledge on all matters DIR, if you think I've deleted your post in error, then PM me and we'll sort that out.

Christian

Wunat,

Your BC should be practically empty from start to finish plus or minus about 6pnd. Thus, even with a full Wing failure it should be no issue to get up in a controlled manner. If you feel that you need more than about 6pnd of Gas in your Wing then get better balanced tanks (Luxfer 80's), use a thinner wetsuit or if you feel you would get cold with a thinner suit, buy a drysuit. Dont try to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

When i first started with twins i had the same mindset. I feared my Drysuit would tear diving wrecks, so i bought a tough as hell Gates. It was like diving in cardboard. As i moved into DIR i bought a CLX450 (DUI), the whole tough yet lightweight argument, still not where i wanted to be. I now have a signature TLS350....where i should have started. I built up an issue in my mind that was not a realisitc problem (torn drysuit).

My Point: Look at the core issue and address that problem. From the DIR perspective that means a neutral setup. If you are forced to have a negative setup due to the nature of your diving then a secondary inflation source is provided in the form of a drysuit.

1) Properly balance rig, allowing you to swim it up and hold a deco stop if necessary.

2) Redundant bouyancy via drysuit or liftbag. Remember, it doesnt have to shoot you to the surface, just allow you to maintain neutral.

3) Wet suits compress at depth, losing some of their bouyancy characteristics. Be sure to allow for that.

4) Redundant wing has several issues, which have already been discussed, but another consideration is if you hit a projection sharp enough to slice primary wing, good chance it will get backup as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom