Redondo Canyon Squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ICY ICE:
BTW: We will be diving Wednesday at Redondo Beach, Veteran's Park, we meet at 6:30.
I was mulling a Vets visit midweek, but more rain is due Tue night and it looks like swell will be up a good bit by Wed night and Thu. I'll probably wait until Sat.

Not sure what "pinned" by a boat means. The squidders do get way too close, but they are not moving around, at least when I have seen them. Unless you swim directly beneath a boat, which I don't recommend, there is not much danger other than the surprise to the old ticker. If you are with a newbie, or someone that freaks easily, I would make sure you discuss it beforehand. An M80 going off at 90 fsw in the dark is creepy. Then you get relaxed, and 10 minutes later POP goes another. Rather disconcerting.

If they have been active, I have found seal bomb remnants on the sea floor. They are basically waterproof M80s. They are orange, and actually say "seal bomb" on them. They are legal, unfortunately. I don't think squid have the intellectual capacity to be afraid of a pop.

And as we all know sound travels faster in water than in air (and even faster through solid), and is omni directional underwater. So it could be a mile away behind you, but it sounds like it's over your head (and you can feel the concussion as well)

Yes, there are areas of the world, including the Phillipines, Thailand and Malaysia where dynamite fishing is common

Happy diving :)

Chris

I jump every time one goes off; it's very unpleasant. The sound carries a long way; we've been diving the Redondo breakwall (several hundred yards away) when the squidders are fishing and could hear/feel the concussions. I jump every time!

In Myanmar (formerly Burma) we were very aware of the dynamite fishing going on. If you think a seal bomb is something, try a stick of dynamite. You can feel the compression wave in your chest. I jump every time!

Squid boats at Redondo do get very close to shore (much closer than 300 yards),
especially when there are multiple boats out there trying to stay out of each others way.

But, in my experience, the boats that are too close to shore will move their boats further out as soon as they see divers entering the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom