Redondo Canyon Squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro5

Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you that like to dive Vetrens park/Redondo canyon the squid has returned but the squid boats were out in full force tonight and the seal bombs were flying.

I was diving almost 2 miles away and I still heard them load and clear and the noise makes you jump underwater which is not a good feeling.

scubapro5:
For those of you that like to dive Vetrens park/Redondo canyon the squid has returned but the squid boats were out in full force tonight and the seal bombs were flying.

I was diving almost 2 miles away and I still heard them load and clear and the noise makes you jump underwater which is not a good feeling.

We did two dive there this past Thursday, encountered a couple of seals that swam circles around us for a few minutes......only spotted one squid about 60' depth...

It seems that thier arriving early this year.....I'll follow up after this Wednesday dive.

Yeah, we had 5 go off during one dive last year.... scare's the s##t outta you

There was an article last year in the San Diego Tribune (I think) about how close the boats were when doing it (there is a limit to how close in the boats can be, usually MUCH closer than permitted in Redondo). Ironically, one mentioned that the sea lions have now developed a Pavlovian response. Seal Bomb = squid boat = lots of squid

Chris

ChrisM:
Yeah, we had 5 go off during one dive last year.... scare's the s##t outta you

There was an article last year in the San Diego Tribune (I think) about how close the boats were when doing it (there is a limit to how close in the boats can be, usually MUCH closer than permitted in Redondo). Ironically, one mentioned that the sea lions have now developed a Pavlovian response. Seal Bomb = squid boat = lots of squid

Chris

I am pretty sure they are suppose to stay 300yards off the beach but even then its still way too close when I can feel the sealbombs from 2 miles away.

The squiders fish at night with bright lights to attract the squid. Sea lions like to eat squid and compete with the fishermen. It is legal for fishing boats to use seal bombs, very similar to M-80 firecracker with the intent of scaring off the sea lions. When I came by Redondo Beach this pm, there were three squid boats anchored just off Veteran's Park waiting for dark.

scubapro5:
If the squidboats are out there it won't be a comfortable dive with you being so close to the sealbombs.

True, time to visit Hollywood Divers and get a diver's float. Hate to get pinned on the bottom.....Could of used one at Santa Barbara, with the Lobster boats.......winter diving?.....fun but risky?

BTW: We will be diving Wednesday at Redondo Beach, Veteran's Park, we meet at 6:30. Everyone is invited, even if you never been out at night.....you'll love it.

I'll be driving in from Santa Barbara that day, arriving around 7-7:30, PM me for directions if you like to join us.

jlyle:
The squiders fish at night with bright lights to attract the squid. Sea lions like to eat squid and compete with the fishermen. It is legal for fishing boats to use seal bombs, very similar to M-80 firecracker with the intent of scaring off the sea lions. When I came by Redondo Beach this pm, there were three squid boats anchored just off Veteran's Park waiting for dark.

Unbelieveable. Next thing you know people will be dynamiting dive sites to kill all the fish instead of spearing them one by one. Amazing how little respect we have for the life in our waters.

How close to shore do these squid boats come? What does it mean to be "pinned" by a boat, does that mean the boat parks above you? It is a big deal if you don't have to emergency ascend? I plan on doing a couple night dives in redondo over the next couple weeks, I just want to know what to expect...

scottfiji:
Unbelieveable. Next thing you know people will be dynamiting dive sites to kill all the fish instead of spearing them one by one.
Actually, I am pretty sure that there areas of the world where this is done with dynamite...

So apparently these seal bombs don't scare the squid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom