Redondo Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My open water is this weekend. 21st 22nd.

Does anyone have a link to the tides and currents at Redondo for this weekend?

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sea/2007-04-21

Tides for Saturday. I don't know what the correction factor for Redondo is -- It's not in Fischnaller's book. But my guess is that your instructor is going to want you there pretty early in the morning.

Here is one tide site... I think you can just select Seattle for that beach.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/weather/tides/

There are many similar sites, just google it.

As far as currents, they don't seem to be an issue at Redondo.

If I have made any errors I am sure the old hands will correct me. :)

Edit: Simulpost!

I have dove Redondo many many times.
I have never noticed a current.
It is one of my favorite sites to take a new or out of state dive buddy.
with no currents to worry about ~ almost unheard of in the PNW ~ Its a great site for that checkout dive.

As a photographer it is a great critter spotting site.

I have seen GPO's, Sailfin Sculpins, Red Octo's, Salmon, Skates, Nudibranches, Ling Cod, Stubby Squid and tons of Rockfish (the list is almost endless) to name a few critters that live there.

Enjoy your OW class.
I hope your instructor allows time to take you on a tour. There are always tons of crabs and sea stars in the area.

I agree with Georgia. I used to manage the dive center closest to Redondo...and the motels closer to Redondo are not in the best neighborhoods.

La Quinta is a great stay...

And, I've got over 200 dives at Redondo. Still my "old faithful" in the Sound. Always a great dive.

Good luck and congrats in advance on your certification!!

Well I survived my open water weekend. It was cold. It was very physically demanding. I got a cramp in my leg. I got brain freeze due to an ill fitting hood. The visibility....there was no visibility, 6-8 feet. And yet I had a ball. I had so much fun. We completed most of our skills in the first two dives. The other two dives we got a chance to look swim around a little. I'm hooked. I need a dry suit.

One thing I requested and was able to try, was an open water ascent with a 15 foot safety stop without the aid of an anchor line. That was way harder than I thought it would be. I couldn't tell if I was going up or down. The analog depth gauge was slow to respond. It was quite a challange.

I can't wait to go again.

Sounds like the hook is set. Welcome to the club.

Save your pennies for a drysuit. It's the difference between dreading that first step into the water, and not even thinking about the water temperature.

Sounds like you had a great time!!!
Anytime you wanna come up this way, let us know and I am, sure someone will buddy up with you.
K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom