Redondo Beach closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I learned earlier this evening that Redondo Beach, in Federal Way, is closed to swimming and diving ... due to water pollution.

The buzz is that it may be several weeks before it's reopened ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I learned earlier this evening that Redondo Beach, in Federal Way, is closed to swimming and diving ... due to water pollution.

The buzz is that it may be several weeks before it's reopened ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Is there something in particular to blame, or is it just general run off from homes and such?

Glad I didn't suggest we dive there this weekend. :)

The pollution is fecal coliform bacteria. So far, I've heard it blamed on ...

- goose poop
- folks walking their dogs on the beach
- infiltration from sanitary sewer to storm sewer systems (there's a storm drain right next to the stairs)

I don't really think the King County folks have identified the cause yet, and it's likely some combination of the above ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

drats! redondo was one of the sites I wanted to hit before I leave for the east coast...

I still think, as I have always, make it legal to shoot canadian gease. Everywhere they go they eat and poop and make a horrible mess, and theres alway flocks of hundreds in open feilds near water. derr "all things in moderation" I'm not saying kill them all, but chop the number by half. Their like the rabbits of the air.

Jeff=Dive:
I still think, as I have always, make it legal to shoot canadian gease. Everywhere they go they eat and poop and make a horrible mess, and theres alway flocks of hundreds in open feilds near water. derr "all things in moderation" I'm not saying kill them all, but chop the number by half. Their like the rabbits of the air.
I wouldn't assume that geese are the cause of this problem ... I said that was speculation. Frankly, I think it's infiltration from sanitary sewer to storm sewer ... in other words, human induced.

If that were proven to be the case, would you then advocate shooting humans?

FWIW - I work at a sanitary sewage treatment plant. We treat something on the order of 18 million gallons of wastewater every day. That's way more "mess" than the local goose population creates ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
FWIW - I work at a sanitary sewage treatment plant. We treat something on the order of 18 million gallons of wastewater every day. That's way more "mess" than the local goose population creates ...
yeah, but you gotta toilet train the geese...

Bummer, hopefully it won't be too long until it's safe again. Polluted water is no good!

NWGratefulDiver:
I wouldn't assume that geese are the cause of this problem Frankly, I think it's infiltration from sanitary sewer to storm sewer...

If that were proven to be the case, would you then advocate shooting humans?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess to follow the line, I'm not assuming that geese are the sole cause. I agree that general runoff is probably the case. We humans use up a lot of water, and not all of it can be completely sanitary when it reaches the sound. And no I would not condone shooting humans, just convicted felons.

I don't know how big a problem geese are becoming down in daMoins, but up here in Everett, when fall hits, there isn't a grassy feild that's not full of them, eating a pooping. I just think the population is getting out of control, to the point where a park is not sanitary to be around.

As for Radondo, I hope the water sanitation issues are resolved or go away. If there is a specific source, I hope it's found, or that, maybe the whole system might just need to be polished a bit. Perhaps that's all it would take.

Whatever the case, it's unfortunate that that dive site has been closed. I'm sure some Divers call it home port. I know that if mukilteo was closed, I would be really dissapointed :sad_2: I just hope this closure doesn't last long.

Jp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom