Red Tide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knives:
Is the red tide all gone yet?
I know it was quite bad at sarasota last week.....

Relatives staying on Anna Maria Island (10/03/05) near Sarasota say they can't go outside because of the smell and coughing that follows. They are 100 yds from the beach.

knives:
Is the red tide all gone yet?
I know it was quite bad at sarasota last week.....

Its still here 20-30 miles north and south of St Petersburg and 20 miles out

Found this morning in our local newspaper, Sun Sentinel ...

Red tide spreads to Panhandle area

Pensacola Beach - A red tide outbreak that began last month in Southwest Florida has made its way completely across the state's Gulf Coast to the western end of the Panhandle.

Fish kills and respiratory problems in humans, both telltale signs of the toxic algae, were reported over the weekend at this barrier island community.

Pensacola Beach Water Safety Supervisor David Greenwood said he felt the effects when he waded into the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday.

"It's just this persistent cough, but when it gets in your eyes, it's so much worse," Greenwood said.

It is the first significant red tide outbreak in the Pensacola area since 1998, said Shelley Alexander, aquatic preserve manager for the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

thanks for the link .....that will nelp .
I know at Siesta key it has been around since August....

I was watching the news sometime this past weekend and there were reports of red tide in Panama City Beach as well.

I was in Gulf Shores, AL this past Friday snorkeling with no ill effects, aside from lots of jellyfish stings. Again Sunday, just on the beach, without any eye irritations or respitory symptoms, so I guess it hasn't come any further west than Pensacola at this point.

Sucks to hear its in Destin as well, I was hoping there would be some saltwater haven in the FL panhandle for me to dive.

It is so bad in Fort Myers Beach.

There are dead fish everywhere. A buddy of mine came upon a 200 pound dead goliath grouper about 16 miles out last weekend. They tried to spearfish, but could find nothing.

The beach stinks.

The good news is it is getting better.

If the media saw the numbers of dead fish 20 miles out people would freak.

This is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed.

matts1w:
It is so bad in Fort Myers Beach.

There are dead fish everywhere. A buddy of mine came upon a 200 pound dead goliath grouper about 16 miles out last weekend. They tried to spearfish, but could find nothing.

The beach stinks.

The good news is it is getting better.

If the media saw the numbers of dead fish 20 miles out people would freak.

This is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Addressed in what way?. My understanding is that Red Tide is a naturally occurring thing,. When the waters warm up you get an Algae bloom, and the waters have been warmer than usual this year.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom