Red Sea- sharm depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

torbaydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to the red Sea- sharm end of January and was wondering what sort of depths I'm likely to be doing and are they strict on qualifications ?
I'm a competent diver but haven't got round to doing my Padi advanced , so strictly speaking I'm limited to 18 m, is this going to be deep enough for the popular boat dives? Do they ask to see your Padi cards?

thanks for any feedback

But my understanding is that most dive guides are fairly strict about the limits. But from what I also gather, there are plenty of sites offering lots to see shallower than 18 meters. Be sure to let the operation with which you are diving know that you are not AOW so they don't put you on a boat to a site which is unsuitable for you. I am also going to Sharm during the last half of January, along with three friends. One of them will be doing his OW course while there. What operation are you planning to use?

Regards,

Phil

DutchDown once bubbled...
But my understanding is that most dive guides are fairly strict about the limits. But from what I also gather, there are plenty of sites offering lots to see shallower than 18 meters. Be sure to let the operation with which you are diving know that you are not AOW so they don't put you on a boat to a site which is unsuitable for you. I am also going to Sharm during the last half of January, along with three friends. One of them will be doing his OW course while there. What operation are you planning to use?

Regards,

Phil

Well I actually want to do the deeper dives, and I'm more than capable, not having the AOW is just a formality as I've already dived to 30 m in various conditions, I'm just wondering whether they will want to see my AOW or will they be happy with my open water card and taking my word that I'm qualified AOW ! The problem being the group I'm going with are all far more qualified than myself ,BSAC trained advanced, and they can't take me up to sports diver level until the summer !
I'm not sure what operation I'm diving with as yet, as I only found out yesterday that I'm going(I replaced a drop out) :)

Local regulations don't allow deeper dives than 30m. Most of the local dives - such as Middle Garden, Far Garden, Temple are not deeper than 20m. Also part of the Shark's Reef and Jolanda yoou can do keeping the limit of 18m. And some of them - i.e. Temple are beautifull. But if you are planning to go to Tiran you have to be aware that most of the dives there are rather deep - 30m is the standard. If you really want to go deeper - do the canion at Thomas Reef - it's around 53m deep. According to the regulations Dahab and Blue Hole are the places where you are allowed to do the deeper dives.
Most of the diving centres and instructors don't go deeper than 30m but I wouldn't call them very strict about the limits - thay do take OWD deeper than 18m.
Enjoy your time in Sharm. And don't forget to take some warm clothes - end of January can be cold.
Mania

You will be aloud to go down to 30.
If you go deeper and you get cought they can charge you 500$.
But there were some nice baracudas :D .
You just forget computer on deck, no log, or as I did remove battery (first day, last dive for that day- no problem)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom