Red sea (liveaboard +shore) in february?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 2 weeks to spend underwater - in February (brrh, at least in the northern hemisphere...). Is diving any good in Southern Egypt in the late winter months?
Last year I spent 2 great weeks there in April, but February should be a different animal...
How about waves, wind, visibility?

Sudan might be warmer, but I read that they have so much wind in winter that they don't even organize southern trips this time of the year.

I have not been there at that time of year. In fact I haven't been there for years. I have concerns to travel there due to the politcal climate. Can you offer some insights in regards to those concerns. Not to hijack your thread but the liveaboards there are priced really well. They hotels are dirt cheap and if memory serves me right and it does some of the best dam hotels in the world! I wan't to go back so bad I can't stand it!

This April I stayed in the wadi Lahami eco village , felt perfectly safe. The seaside road has a few police checkpoints, anyway, it's not a densely visited area, usually targeted by the bad guys. Tourists are also "difficult to
catch" there, because most of them are either underwater or kiting miles out in the sea.

On a boat you are even safer, haven't heard of any seaborne attack in the region. The biggest danger you can really encounter are the roads: many tourists are killed each year in accidents, therefore I suggest to
limit land travel and fly as close to your destination as possible (in my case I'd fly to Marsa Alam).

---------- Post added October 14th, 2015 at 02:10 AM ----------

Anyone about the conditions in February? Most interested in the south (Fury, St John's). There was a great website on the yearly cycle I cannot find anymore

Last edited:
I have not been there at that time of year. In fact I haven't been there for years. I have concerns to travel there due to the politcal climate. Can you offer some insights in regards to those concerns. Not to hijack your thread but the liveaboards there are priced really well. They hotels are dirt cheap and if memory serves me right and it does some of the best dam hotels in the world! I wan't to go back so bad I can't stand it!

ridiculous to avoid egypt. I was there during the rabaa massacre in august 2013 and didn't even notice it. generally the trouble was in cairo and alexandria and i felt completely safe in hurghada. i have been to egypt (granted i have been on liveaboards) 4 times since august 2013 and felt safe.

speaking to dms out there they say this new government is actually quite good. pro scuba diving yeaaaah

i always think "i'm probably more likely to have a car crash, or be hit by a car walking to work than i am to become a hostage in egypt"

February is still rather windy, so be sure to keep warm during SI but I have dived the Red Sea in my 5mm neoprene wetsuit any month from November to May although I have seen instructors in drysuits during the cold months.
as far as safety is concerned the south always was safe and there have been terrorist attacks in Berlin, London, Paris and many other locations no one would call extremely dangerous places.
I am going to Marsa Alam again in Novémber :D

On my April trip I brought along my regular 7mm semidry, didn't bother to buy another suit, I guess it sould be fine, maybe a towel on top for the zodiac ride...

Yeah, in April I slept in a tent (Wadi Lahami eco village) , it was COOOLD! The Sahara is definitely not a warm place early spring/nighttime:) Other than that, wind was fine, we were able to sail out once a week to Sataya, which is about 1 hour from the shore.

...and there have been terrorist attacks in Berlin, London, Paris and many other locations no one would call extremely dangerous places.

Precisely why I don't dive there. Tee hee.

Can't say anything about the month of February and weather/water conditions. My only trip so far was in August. Felt perfectly safe in Hurghada, el Quseir ad Marsa Alam... and well protected (by armed security guards and police) in Cairo and Luxor.

I dove with Roots Luxury Camp near El Quseir and had a great time.

In Egypt the biggest danger, that kills probably dozens of turists each year is road travel. To ensure your safety fly as close as possible to your destination and avoid lengthy drives.
Precisely why I don't dive there. Tee hee.Can't say anything about the month of February and weather/water conditions. My only trip so far was in August. Felt perfectly safe in Hurghada, el Quseir ad Marsa Alam... and well protected (by armed security guards and police) in Cairo and Luxor.I dove with Roots Luxury Camp near El Quseir and had a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom