Red lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By diving with a red mask lens, according to theory, you can restore some of that red light ..... while it may "restore" red to the visual field.....

A red lens doesn't restore red in any way. It suppresses or reduces light of other colours, such as greens and blues. It cannot increase reds. Hence it greatly reduces the amount of light reaching your eyes, and as you descend you end up finding it hard to see anything. Definitely a bad idea. The eye (or rather the visual cortex of the brain) adapts to missing light frequencies very well, and you don't need or want an artificial barrier.

When it comes to underwater digital photography, for example, I never change the white balance of the camera, because all that does is reduce sensor sensitivity to some colours in the spectrum. Far better to do that to the resulting image in post-processing, and a compelling argument for shooting underwater in RAW.

So if you drained out the water you would't need any lenses!

The only type of diving I plan on doing is recreational warm water reef diving, 100 max depth.

So it does seem like I would greatly benefit from these red lenses. Good to hear. I planned on buying the Atomic ARC mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom