Red filters for Sola Video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Interceptor121,
We don't have a recommendation for adding a red filter to the Video 1200; we make the Photo 1200 and Photo 800 specifically for people needing red for stealth modeling lights.

If there is a third-party company out there making filters for our lights, we are not aware of them.

I am aware of the photo line however those lights don't have a spot mode that I find very useful in a number of situations and also allows me to use the lights as torches for night dives
I will see if I can build some DIY

I wanted to know what is the recommendation to add red filters on Sola video light in my specific case 1200
I could put a lens filter but the color is actually orange not red
A friend of my made some red plastic filters. The problem is that the light isn't very bright with the filter because it's removing all the blue and green photons. Because of the blueish tinge of the Sola, this means it's removing something more than 2/3 of the photons.

I am aware of the photo line however those lights don't have a spot mode that I find very useful in a number of situations and also allows me to use the lights as torches for night dives
I will see if I can build some DIY
I'm currently in the same situation that you were, so I was wondering if you ever got around to DIY a solution.

I searched for an easy solution (I am not good at DIY) and bought an Ikelite IK6441.32 filter. I will be trying it out in Belize in April.

2017-02-04 07.40.14.jpg
2017-02-04 07.40.24.jpg
2017-02-04 07.40.45.jpg

I hot-glued a step-up ring to the 1200, then just screwed a filter in. Two possible problems: (1) getting the right color filter. Hint: it's not "red." (2) Screw the filter on u/w, so there is no air-pocket behind it. There is plenty of differential pressure on the filter to crack the glass. Or, drill some little holes in the step-up ring to let water/pressure in behind the filter. Hint: don't ask me how I found this out.

Back
Top Bottom