Red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been shooting video and I've had no success trying to "fix" a still frame after-the-fact. Now I dive with two cameras--one with a permanent red filter and one with a pink filter and two video lights. The pink filter can be removed when using the lights.

I've also tried other colored filters and all were a waste, even the yellow "Caribbean Blue Clear Sunny Water" filter. The only way I've found to correct bad color is to use the correct filter or lights and go back and do it over :wink:

You've opened a can of christmas tree worms with this question :)

There are lots and lots of approaches to addressing this problem. Posting some information about your camera setup would help guide the advice.

When people are starting out, they are often overwhelmed by all the possibilities and just want something that will fix their image. In this case, it might be worth trying the Dive+ app (iOS/Android) or the desktop software called Vivid-Pix (LAND & SEA SCUBA | Fast, Easy photo editing software) . These pieces of software use various tricks to add red, increase contrast, sharpness, etc. Sometimes, they're heavy handed and the image can look artificial. But it's up to you to decide. I tried editing your sample image by hand in Lightroom and there just wasn't enough color left to restore. Other software might do better.

Shooting in RAW, staying shallow, using custom white balance, using filters, using strobes, and using constant lights are all possibilities, depending on your gear and the amount of time you want to spend on it.. Some solutions are much more $$$ than others.

Red filter will only increase your ISO. But, if you do not want strobes, there is always an option to convert into B/W.

I am basically gathering that there isn't really a way to fix the pictures I've taken and given the fact I am using a go pro knockoff I am probably out of luck without getting into a real underwater camera with lights and strobes.

I looked at the histogram for this shot, not completely red free but an odd histogram with little overlap of red/green/blue channels and it certainly does not respond to the usual tools to correct the white balance and the result of trying is a little ugly. My guess is that it would be marginal for a red filter to provide any benefit.

I am basically gathering that there isn't really a way to fix the pictures I've taken and given the fact I am using a go pro knockoff I am probably out of luck without getting into a real underwater camera with lights and strobes.
Hard to beat the GoPro for handiness. If your pics are mostly at 60ft depth, a red filter won't help really, but from 20-40 it is a very noticeable improvement. Above 20ft it starts to overbalance into sepia tones, but for reef scenes I find I like that effect as well. I use the screw-on URPro filters and GoPro adapter to the filter thread size. That way I can remove the filter if I like during the dive. There are lots of less expensive filter alternatives on the market engineered for the GoPro lenses directly, no doubt there are some spectral comparisons to UR Pro somewhere. Lights only work out to a few feet - for wider angle and more distant shots a filter really has no substitute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom