Red filter? Pics are all red.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DStack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently got a red filter for my pt48 housing /stylus tough 8010 set up. If set the under water mode and turned the flash off. All of my pics and video came out red. Is ther additional settings that need to be changed in the camera? I took pics a various depths here in Cozumel. 90 ft to 25 ft. The only difference was the LCD screen was useless at depths as the filter made it to dark to see. Any help and suggestion is much appreciated.

Do not put the camera in Underwater Mode if you are adding a red filter. Essentially you are adding the red back in twice if I understand the function of Underwater mode (which may not be the case). The reason the screen looks different is because you are looking through the red filter. The Underwater mode corrects for color when it creates the picture file so it does not appear until you've taken the shot.

Filters are generally not recommended below 40ft., as they will limit the amount of total light. If you do use a filter at depth, you might try upping your ISO substantially to make up for the loss of light. If you have custom white balance available, you could bring a white or gray card and white balance at a given depth with your filter on. This will allow the camera to adjust white balance to where it should be while reintroducing red to your whole shot for more natural color and less blue wash.

You got to use manual white balance + ambient light only with red filter for best result.

Go to manual or preset white balance and point your camera to white object (slater or white sand) for camera to adjust it color for match to that depth.

Like Larry said; filters are not much use at depth.

Like conundrum said; use custom white balance and calibrate your white balance off a white or gray card at the depth you are at with the filter ON the housing. You have to re-calibrate when you change depths and/or the ambient light conditions change.

You did not state whether or not your red filter was inside or outside the housing. If inside then you can't use your flash without calibrating the white balance with the flash on or you get red photos for sure. If an external filter then simply remove it for flash shots but change your white balance to auto or daylight remembering to change it back to custom for non-flash shots.

If your camera allows it also calibrate the white balance with the filter on for videos.

Back
Top Bottom