Red at 40 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be honest, I don't think it is algae. Algae should not have a consistency of ink, even when chewed. Looks like a small wound, though it is surprising that it was still bleeding on the later visit.

Thought that too, but don't see a line - but still doesn't mean it can't be

Trying to figure things out like this is driving me nuts! lol

I am thinking something bad may have happened to our little friend, such as an internal injury of some sort, yeah, maybe from swallowing a fishhook, or worse. If he has been bleeding for a few days, I am guessing it's not just a hook in the mouth. I hope I am wrong.
That's why I asked if he seemed ok. Is it normal turtle behavior to stay in one spot for so long, do you guys know?

I just Googled "Turtles and bleeding", and found that turtles (marine species as well as others) can bleed from the mouth when they have a vitamin K deficiency. Interesting. That could explain this little fellow.

Perhaps the "save the turtles" People will know more about this sort of thing.

The turtles here have no real fear of us, they are proteced animals. But I can't say that I have seen one hanging there for so many days in a row. I await answer from the pros

Lisa, on yesterday's dive at Marty's reef at 60 feet I saw some reddish algae that was very fine like hair. It was obviously red, even at 60 feet.
I'm putting my money on algae.

Gilligan:
Lisa, on yesterday's dive at Marty's reef at 60 feet I saw some reddish algae that was very fine like hair. It was obviously red, even at 60 feet.
I'm putting my money on algae.
Also wouldn't blood be brown at that depth?

justleesa:
I can't say that I saw any algae around....but who am I to say? I wrote the bishop museum, lets see if they have something to say.

How are things with you Yoda??
I hope the museum can help - it would be nice to know what that stuff was.

I've been pretty busy lately but lurk and read everybody's posts and look at the pics. If there are no thunderstorms tomorrow I'm finally headed back to the water at one of the local springs. I'm about to die of dehydration :D !!! I'll post some pics if I get to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom