Rec's for weak legs? calf cramps and kicking practice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always get massive almost drowning calf cramps...cuz I'm kicking forward???

Everybody is giving all sorts of ideas on what to eat and what exercises to do and what kind of fins to wear.

However the easiest thing to do is to relax and work less.

Given that most recreational SCUBA divers have desk jobs of one sort or another, and many aren't in great shape, I don't think you need to be an Olympic athlete to dive. All you need to do is learn how to properly weight yourself to be neutral (the method should be in your book) and adjust your tank and/or weight positioning so you can stay horizontal without finning.

Once you can do this, you'll find that you only need to fin when you want to go somewhere, and do not need to fin just to stay in one place or keep off the bottom. It also means that if you stop finning, nothing happens except you stop moving.

Although I haven't seen you dive, I'd suspect that you're finning pretty much continuously, which is a lot of work for anybody.

Terry

I use XS Scuba Turtle Fins (huge profile fins, with lots of blade!! :wink: ), and I did get a bit of a cramp the first time I did IWD. After I practiced, however, the cramps went away. Having proper fin kick techniques also plays a huge role.

Hope that helps,
Taylor
Vicdiver656

We do an exercise called "pushing the wall" to practice flutter kick form and work the larger muscles.

Instead of swimming laps wearing mask/fins/snorkel put your hands against the wall of the pool with fingers about 6 inches below the surface. Lay face down with arms extended and stiff then start swimming toward the wall, pretend you are pushing it. Keep your knees nearly locked as you kick, the only bend should be from the resistance of the water. The kick should originate at your hip, when you are doing it right your butt will wiggle back and forth. If you are in water that's about 3 feet deep try to extend the kick so your fin tip touches the bottom on the down stroke and the bottom of your foot touches the water surface on the upstroke. Your butt will REALLY wiggle on this one, reach for the bottom with your hip rather than your knee on the stroke. Pushing against the wall can give you enough leverage to arch your back and keep your butt and fins underwater. The nice thing about doing this into the wall is the ability to be stationary and focus on your form.
Ber :lilbunny:
I know you know this, Ber...

But for anyone lurking... This is wonderful advice for a drill to increase leg strength and ingrain a more powerful flutter kick in muscle memory. However, do not actually dive with a ginormous flutter kick like that! The reef will thank you! And the people that are behind you won't beat you up later on the boat (or shore)! :mooner:

Ultimately, I agree with Web Monkey, I think the preference is to get fit with other sports or pursuits. If you slow down underwater and glide as much as you fin, you'll be amazed at how much better your gas consumption will become.

Last edited:
I know you know this, Ber...

But for anyone lurking... This is wonderful advice for a drill to increase leg strength and ingrain a more powerful flutter kick in muscle memory. However, do not actually dive with a ginormous flutter kick like that! The reef will thank you! And the people that are behind you won't beat you up later on the boat (or shore)! :mooner:
Precisely right my dear, I probably should have emphasized that more in the intro to the exercise. It is indeed an exercise rather than an open water procedure. Its purpose is to give you a chance to slow your kick down to practice your form without worrying about sinking then exaggerate the movement to feel where your power should come from (hips) and get a workout at the same time.

In class it allows us to evaluate a student's form and give immediate feedback without chasing them all over the pool trying to get them to stop concentrating on the kick and surface so we can give tips.

Ultimately, I agree with Web Monkey, I think the preference is to get fit with other sports or pursuits. If you slow down underwater and glide as much as you fin, you'll be amazed at how much better your gas consumption will become.
Any sort of fitness program that you enjoy enough to stick with is going to make a difference in your diving.
Ber :lilbunny:

My experience is that most leg/foot cramps are caused by impeded circulation. Most often caused by a wetsuit that is too tight in the calves or fins that are adjusted too tight. Pulling the fin strap too tight is a really common mistake.

for me...I used to get leg craps big time. Changed my booties and wah-lah! no more cramps. Might just be a small thing

First off, electrolyte abnormalities severe enough to cause muscle cramping are extremely unusual in young, healthy people who are not taking diuretic medications and have not been ill. You can eat a banana a day if it makes you feel better about things, but it's almost certainly not affecting your muscles.

Second, HERE is a website with a couple of good articles about muscle cramping in divers, with some suggestions for conditioning and stretching exercises. There are also good pieces about fitness programs for divers at the bottom of that page.

HERE is a link to a website hosting a number of videos of various kicking techniques. If you are interested in larger, higher resolution images, you can order the 5thD-X Essentials DVD, which has good footage of kicking techniques as well as other things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom