Recreational wreck instructor recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Esprise Me

The TDI Adv Wreck standards specify SDI Wreck OR cavern OR equivalent as prerequisites. Take your pick.

Seems they want you to have some sort of overhead experience. Don’t know if Fundies would be accepted as a prereq. The instructor would have to determine that.

FDCA2D39-8BD8-482E-83F9-24DC7181716C.png

Interesting; what does cavern cover that wreck doesn't?

basic wreck? All sorts of things. Running lines in an actual overhead, light signals, moving around without being able to see, heavy emphasis on buoyancy, trim, and propulsion, etc. You can get that from basic wreck courses from the right instructor, but because you're going to be on a boat and likely fairly deep, your bottom times are limited. Caverns are typically all shore diving in shallow areas and you'll be able to log a LOT more bottom time. 2-4 hours a day is the norm in those classes where a wreck course off a boat will give you at best 2 hours if it's a really shallow wreck. The added in-water time with the instructor is huge.

And for those suggesting cavern OR Intro to cave, isn’t cavern a prereq for Intro to cave? At least for TDI.

And for those suggesting cavern OR Intro to cave, isn’t cavern a prereq for Intro to cave? At least for TDI.

intro to cave is usually taught in conjunction with cavern as a 4-day course. Cavern is a largely useless certification in Florida because of the way our caves were formed and since it is a recreational level course, it's just kind of roped into it. It officially is a 4-step process with most agencies, cavern/intro/apprentice/full with some slightly different rules and names for cavern/intro/apprentice from the different agencies.
The reason I mentioned talking to someone like Landon or Pete is because the intro side may not be valuable if there is no interest in cave diving in the future. Those 3rd and 4th days could then be used to actually apply the skills learned in cavern on some fairly benign wrecks in Florida and take advantage of their experience on shipwrecks and get some of the nuancy type things about wreck diving that you don't get while in a cave. Learn all the skills in the giant pool that is a cavern, then apply it on a wreck. You can do those first couple days in most quarries as well which is where we prepare our students for their first wreck dives, just need a giant "pool" type dive area. The cavern certification is just a bonus since you will complete all of the requirements anyway.

Hello @Esprise Me,

I greatly appreciate @tbone1004 tagging me in this thread. He has given you some excellent advice so far, which I will reiterate. If your end goal is indeed wreck penetration, then you should definitely consider either:

A) Taking a cavern/intro to cave course to develop basic overhead skills.

or in the least....

B) take a wreck course from someone who is either an Advanced Wreck instructor, or at least Advanced Wreck diver qualified. I would skip the PADI wreck course as it is most certain to be a waste. Go with SDI, SNSI, or some other agency that has the potential to be a more in-depth course.

I live and teach in Fort Lauderdale. We have an entire selection of wrecks available at all skill levels and preferences. If you wish to come here we can certainly get you setup on the path headed towards your final goal. Including making arrangements for training in cave country if requested.

Cheers,
Landon Lasseter MD, MS, MBA
Partner/CIO - Deep 6 Gear
Partner - Aquí Watersports

There are some good So Cal wrecks, and some really good recreational and tech wreck divers here, and some really good instructors who dive lots of wrecks around the world, including locally. I think in general there are a lot more wrecks to dive in So Cal than caverns. You should look for a recreational wreck class that includes the Yukon, but it's a cold dive and relatively deep so having some deep experience would be good and a drysuit makes the dive a lot more enjoyable. Look for a local instructor whose picture shows up in lots of magazine photos as a good starting point.

You do not need a tech instructor for the recreational wreck specialty; you definitely do when you want to take something like TDI Advanced Wreck. I felt totally qualified when took the Advanced Wreck class from Chatterton, except for never having dived in doubles before. When I took the wreck specialty, we covered running lines, surveying the ship, and then penetrations, not from a tech instructor

Several good recreational depth wrecks in San Diego, some outside of LA Harbor, a few in Santa Monica Bay, some easy wrecks at the Catalina dive park, and some in the Channel Islands

Anyone who says cavern diving is just like wreck diving has never been on the Yukon with surge and been over one of the openings. And no, you don't need a backplate or Fundies to take the wreck specialty

Resuscitating my own dead thread to say I finally got around to it! What can I say--2020 threw a wrench in my plans. But anyway, I really appreciate all the advice, and I followed most of it.

I did the class through Eco Dive Center with Oleg and Richie, who are both cave divers, as I think someone suggested. We did all four dives on the Yukon, which I did get a chance to dive with a buddy after starting this thread (and after getting a drysuit, thankfully) but before the course. I also took the deep diver and solo courses in the meantime, so I have a pony bottle and know how to use it. While doing introductions, I found out that most of the students had somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 dives, and with more than 300 myself I wondered for a moment if I might've waited too long to get as much out of the class as I could. But in the end, I felt like this was a really good time for me to have taken it. Conditions were a little sporty that weekend, and the boat we took has the only fins-on ladder I've seen around here, so it was nice that it wasn't my first time on it. A few others had trouble with the task-loading and "made spaghetti" of their lines, and I think by the last dive everyone in a wetsuit got cold.

I wanted two things from this course, and I got both. I wanted to learn how to run a reel, and I wanted to go inside a wreck. We learned how to run reels in a local park on a weekday evening before the weekend of the dives, and we practiced again in the parking lot at the marina just before we got on the boat, which I thought was a really useful refresher. We then practiced running them on the outside of the wreck on the third dive, after using the first two dives to get oriented. We were told that the goal was to do some penetration if possible, depending on conditions and how we did overall; best case scenario at least a couple of us would get to run lines inside. That didn't end up happening, but we did get to do some quick swim-throughs.

For those not familiar, the Yukon is a 100-foot deep, 400-foot long, purpose-sunk wreck that had a little whoopsie. It was cleaned and hole-punched to make it all nice and easy to explore inside. But then it sank before it was supposed to and landed on its side, making many of the holes inaccessible and making it rather disorienting to navigate. When my buddy and I dived it, we agreed we'd just check out the outside on the first dive, and then during the surface interval discuss whether to go just a little way in on the second dive. When we surfaced, we both agreed we weren't comfortable going in. But I felt comfortable doing it with an instructor, and once inside, it was easier to see how open it is and how many exits there are.

All in all, it was a great course. I acquired a specific relevant skill I hadn't picked up in all my courses or fun dives, I gained confidence with something I was afraid to do before, and I really enjoyed myself. Thanks again to all who helped me find my way there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom