Recreational versus technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to PADI/DSAT:

Recreational Scuba Diving - is defined as no stop diving with air or enriched air to a maximum depth of 40 meters/130 feet, and during penetration dives, within the natural light zone and no more than a total linear distance of 40 meters/130 feet from the surface.

Technical Scuba Diving - is diving other than conventional commercial or research diving that takes divers beyond recreational scuba limits. It is further defined as and includes one or more of the following: diving beyond 40 meters/130 feet, required stage decompression, diving in an overhead environment beyond 40 linear meters/130 feet of the surface, accelerated decompression, and/or the use of variable gas mixtures during the dive.

To clarify the issue of depth limits, some recreational divers have been to deeper water than 40 meters/130 feet. That is NOT technical diving. That is being stupid and ignorant of the dangers involved. Although I like dive computers, it can be bad in some ways as some people depend on the dive computer for deco information while not understanding the rational behind.

EANx used to be condsidered "technical" no more than five years ago. Now, there are some who offer it with their basic OW class. So the term is not only grey, but it slides a lot too.

So do you think Helium usage will take a less "voodoo gas" type role and become as prevalent as nitrox is in regular recreational diving in the future then?

Maybe I was all over the place with my earlier post, but here is the typical "recreational" helium profile I was considering.

My buddy and I are going down to NC to do the U352 and the Papoose. We are both OW, AOW, Nitrox, etc. but are not trimix certified. The boat we are diving from pumps EANx30 and we have looked over the NDLs and are happy to report that we can cruise around the wreck at around 115' and stay under a ppO2 of 1.4 for about 15 mins on our single tanks. Everything is wonderful...wait a sec...our END is now always going to be equal to our depth (if we take as gospel that o2 is equal in narcotic properties to n2) unless we add helium to the mix. We can't add helium since we are not trimix certified.

Since when are the u352 and the papoose technical dives? They shouldn't be since they don't fit any of the definitions of technical, yet they are also not using the appropriate gas mixture since we are diving at an END of 115'.

What do you do? Skip the dives until you take a trimix course? I guess my point is that why is the limit 130' when you cannot dive to 130' safely (with an END of 100' or less) without adding helium to your mix? Shouldn't either helium/mixed gas diving be non-technical or the limit be changed to 100'?

Helium is too ridiculously expensive other than in North America to even consider using it for 115 ft recreational dives.The appropriate mix is determined more by practicality than a dogmatic belief in exact mixtures.Your practicality is no mix cert=no mix dives.I don't skip dives due to lack of"appropriate gas"nor do I dive beyond my abilities or beyond the "reasonable" limits of my gas.If you wanna wait ,go ahead ,it's your personal preference.

...just because he isn't trimix certified?

Originally posted by O-ring We can't add helium since we are not trimix certified.
Well Eric as much as I care about you... go ahead.... but remember Rick's definition of a Tech dive... one that you can't do an ESA from... you aren't long into a dive with helium in the mix before you can't do an ESA without some reprocussions... helium as you know goes in fast and comes out fast too... slow ascents become mandatory as soon as you start with the He.... have you been practicing?... are you good at it yet?

From Victoria still waiting for someone to take me diving!!
:wink:

UP, you are right, and I will not be messing with helium until I am appropriately experienced and trained in its use and properties. Yes, I have been practicing (of course :rolleyes: ) and no I am not an expert at it, but I feel I have made some progress.

I feel some of the risk is mitigated since I will be diving with someone I have dove with a lot with and who is like-minded and similarly trained (DIR).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom