Recreational Diving Poll - Gear Set-up

Who puts their gear together? (Recreational divers)

• Most other divers put their own gear together every time and don’t allow anyone else to touch it, no

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Most other divers put their gear together the first time, and after that the crew changes tanks, put

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Most other divers let the crew put their gear together for them for almost all dives.

Votes: 16 18.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I clicked no. 2, but agree that I think it varies.

On the commercial dive boats I have been on each diver sets up their own gear and it remains together for the duration of the trip. Tanks are filled via long whips so your gear never leaves the spot on the bench where you choose the first day.

I will throw in with all of those who say it varies by location.

I do a lot of diving in south Florida, and if you don't set up your own gear there, it is not going to get set up.

I have also done a lot of diving in tropical resort situations. In some of those, it is again usual for divers to set up their own gear. In others (like Cozumel), the crew generally does it. When the crew generally does it, I think nearly everyone lets them do it.

In my first couple of years of diving, I did all of it in Cozumel, and I got very used to having the crew do the work. Then I did a day of diving in South Florida, using rental gear. We were pretty much at the dive site before I figured out that no one was going to set my gear up for me, and I began to scramble to get the job done. I struggled to remember how to do some of it.

Definitely varies. Not even necessarily by location. I've been to places where one op wants to set everything up for you, and another where you do it yourself. I've only been to one place where they got salty because I refused to let them set up my gear for me, and that was several years ago. I've also never seen an op refuse to do it if someone asks for it or is struggling.

I use boats that cover the entire spectrum, from doing nothing at all to doing absolutely everything for you. In some cases you barely have a choice. Reef Divers Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, I assume Cobalt Coast, have you sit on the end of the boat and help you don your BC before diving. At the end of the dive, they take your BC off at same seat, and by the time you get back to your spot, your BC is on a new cylinder.

There is one common thread to all these wildly different procedures, I always check my own gear personally before every dive. I rarely find anything I need to change, occasionally the position of the BC on the cylinder. Knowing that I checked my own gear gives me confidence that it is OK. Forever, the last thing I do before jumping to to take several breaths while watching my SPG, this way nobody can surprise me with a last minute change :)

Same same!

The first time my air wasn't turned on was that first time I forgot to check. LOL

On a “real” liveaboard (Truth Aquatics, not you!), in general I have observed you don’t even need to set up your gear. They do it for you but I double check the work. All that is done is putting the first stage back on tank as soon as the air is analyzed for nitrox. No tank changes needed (whip is used). Some LOBs have a LP inflator hose attachment (flow restrictor) to analyze and in that case the first stage stays permanently on the tank valve.

On day boats, it is a mix. I’ve seen having to do nothing to you doing all setup including switching tanks.

When the crew generally does it, I think nearly everyone lets them do it.

Agreed, and I answered the poll assuming a context where the crew offers to do it, and doing so is not unusual.

From my trips, it seemed more common for crew to assemble gear on tanks in fairly benign 'shallow to moderate depth, tropical aquarium style' Caribbean locations. I believe Rainbow Reef Dive Center also did this when I dove out of Key Largo with them a few years back. On the other hand, more 'challenging' conditions diving (e.g.: deep wreck diving out of Morehead City, NC, or fairly deep drift diving out of Jupiter, FL, or the rather cold water diving with more exposure protection at the Channel Islands of California), it was set up your own.

A couple of differences between the locations may be of interest. I suspect the more challenging conditions areas call to a more seasoned diver, likely more knowledgeable and proficient about their gear & setup (they know what to do and some prefer doing it themselves, plus there may be more variation - BP/W, pony bottles, long hose reg.s, etc...), and I think those dive op.s see more local divers (& repeat business).

The Caribbean destinations, on the other hand, often have a less seasoned customer base on average (with notable exceptions), some very sporadic divers (e.g.: cruise ship divers) accustomed to having gear setup done for them, less variation in gear, and if the competitors are offering the service, well, the pressure's on for your op. to do so. I doubt they get as high a repeat customer %.

That's my speculation, anyway; reality may diverge from it.

Richard.

If it's rental gear, they can setup it up and may know the best way anyways. Followed by a quick double-check by me. My own gear I always setup, because I know how I like it arranged and I am protective of it.

I have that "Bio Tank Lock" on my BC strap. Once a DM tightened it to far (supposed to keep the two metal parts no closer to each other than 1/4 inch, or apparently it can get screwed up). I do keep an eye on that and prefer doing it myself. Tank will never slip with that thing, but you don't want to loosen it too much either so you have to figure out how the parts go back on the strap properly.

Back
Top Bottom