Recreational Dive Planning software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tell you what, if I am at 111' with 32% and I drop my expensive camera rig to 120, I am going to get it.

To descend, pick up the camera and ascend is going to take what, 30 seconds? So you are going to take what, 4 -6 breaths with only the very deepest at PPO2 = 1.5 which is still within the contingency.

Besides that I have dived with GUE divers who set their PPO2 at 1.6, I would not be concerned and would grab my expensive gear and then mage sure it is always clipped on somehow so it never happens again.

I don't for one minute believe you folks would leave that gear behind.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2015 at 03:00 PM ----------

...and I don't thing descending an additional 9' is any type of exertion.

I tell you what, if I am at 111' with 32% and I drop my expensive camera rig to 120, I am going to get it.

To descend, pick up the camera and ascend is going to take what, 30 seconds? So you are going to take what, 4 -6 breaths with only the very deepest at PPO2 = 1.5 which is still within the contingency.

Besides that I have dived with GUE divers who set their PPO2 at 1.6, I would not be concerned and would grab my expensive gear and then mage sure it is always clipped on somehow so it never happens again.

I don't for one minute believe you folks would leave that gear behind.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2015 at 03:00 PM ----------

...and I don't thing descending an additional 9' is any type of exertion.

You may be missing the point. You can well go get it, I probably would too; I've spent plenty of time at 1.6, as you probably have, but we are doing it knowingly. He is not; he probably would in fact exert himself and his breathing rate go up (OMG! My expensive camera!). What advice are you going to give HIM, which might be different than what YOU would do?

You may be missing the point. You can well go get it, I probably would too; I've spent plenty of time at 1.6, as you probably have, but we are doing it knowingly. He is not; he probably would in fact exert himself and his breathing rate go up (OMG! My expensive camera!). What advice are you going to give HIM, which might be different than what YOU would do?

I just had to pipe in there and call BS to leaving an expensive camera 9' away while still in the range for contingencies. :wink:

I keep my PPO2 at 1.4, I don't push it to 1.6. If my dive plan is to 130', I am going to be carrying 28%

I do think staying on the conservative side is a very good idea. I do like that the OP is thinking and trying to plan.

I would recommend at least going and reading Bob's gas planning doc. NWGratefulDiver.com

Yeah, that gas management article is good. But the OP has already said it is too conservative for him. That is worrisome.

..... So, does anyone know of any software that will do what I want? ....
Yes. It is called divePAL.

The Windows version is the most powerful / flexible and (with the proper license level) it will do almost anything you can think off.
As an example, with the Tech license you can even design your own variation of the ZH-L16C algorithm (you can change coefficients for each compartment) and see how it will respond to a given dive profile.
With divePAL you can analyze dive profiles you have created manually or you can even analyze any of the 10s of thousands of real dive profiles available in our divePAL cloud.
We even used divePAL ourselves to fine tune our own deco algorithm. See this post
You can download divePAL from our website HERE

I looked quickly at divePAL before I started this thread. It appeared to me to just be a tool for downloading dive data from a PDC via a proprietary piece of hardware. Though I WAS only looking at the Android version.

I looked quickly at divePAL before I started this thread. It appeared to me to just be a tool for downloading dive data from a PDC via a proprietary piece of hardware. .....
Each version of divePAL (iOS, Windows and Android) includes a dive Planner, a dive Analyzer and a Logbook (P.A.L).

I'm a little confused. V-planner will do almost all of what you are asking for. I do my recreational dive gas planning in my head -- it isn't that hard, and you don't need to be perfectly accurate, because no dive unfolds precisely as it is planned, anyway.

If you want a device that will allow you to enter surface intervals and depths for as many repetitive dives as you want, get the eRDP-ML from PADI. It's designed to do that, but it's based on tables, which means it will be extremely conservative compared with what a computer will give you for a multi-level dive.

Each version of divePAL (iOS, Windows and Android) includes a dive Planner, a dive Analyzer and a Logbook (P.A.L).

I went to the DiveNav site. Clicked into divePAL. Watched the video. Read the blurbs at the bottom. But, there's no link to purchase or download anywhere. WTF! Clicked the link for the Support Forums. Clicked into the FAQ subforum. Read a post about purchasing a 1 year license for Advanced. So divePAL DOES cost money. Okay, so how much. Still no sign of a way to buy or download it. Close the forums window. Back to the DiveNav window. As I was about to close the window and move on, I realized that the graphic of the divePAL logo is actually a link that takes you to a download page. Click that and I'm on a download page where I can download the software for free. But, I'm savvy. I know that doesn't necessarily mean I can USE it for free. Still looking for some idea of cost and can't find it. Notice a Store link at the top and click that. Takes me to a page where I have to register and then sign in before I can enter the store.

So, what I know so far is:

- I can DOWNLOAD divePAL for free, but have no reason to believe that I can actually USE it for free.
- Using it in Advanced mode requires an Annual subscription. And I don't know what Advanced mode is. Maybe it's the only mode that I would even find useful at all.
- The website has gone to great pains to prevent me from finding out about the costs of using divePAL without at least registering with the site or installing the software.

I smell fishy, fishy SPAM. Pass.

I write and sell software for a living. If I thought somebody would only pay the asking price for my software if they were already hooked into using it, I would try to hide the price and make them install it first. If I were confident that people would happily pay the price for it if they just had a look at the software, I would make the price very clear up front. Making people invest time in the software and/or give me their contact info before I'll even let them know what it costs is not something I do or support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom