Recovery Postings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I feel that sense the general board users will have access here, that if we post some graphic details it should be listed in the title. Something like "Graphic details" or something along that line.

It should not be a surprise for someone to read a post and be shocked by some unpleasent details they might not be expecting.

Gary D.

Gary D.,

I'd have to agree with your post. Some of the recoveries that we unfortunately have to make are some of the most grisly scenes anyone could imagine. A disclaimer in the title might help to steer away those who would rather not read about such things. A body that has been in the river for six months (just pulled one out) isn't a pretty site.

Snowbear:
Not to mention the smell :sick:
When you can smell them on the bottom you know the Vicks and Cigars are going to be useless.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
When you can smell them on the bottom you know the Vicks and Cigars are going to be useless.

Gary D.

I hope that this forum will be of some use for Public Safety Divers. I was a diver for my Sheriff's department for a number of years. I had some 200 body recoveries during that time. During that time, I did see a few that one would not like to talk about at dinner time. I would have to say though, that most of the bodies recovered by PS divers are pretty fresh.

We normally got the call and recovered the body the same day that it happened. I would say that 90% of the recovered bodies were young children. As I recall, I only was involved, in the recovery of two SCUBA divers. One of those suffered facial damage from a star fish and crabs, the star fish was on his face when found.

I never had a sense of smell from those on the bottom though! :1poke:

I hate to be morbid or something, but this type of diving intrigues me allot, i really dont know why. Also, the details are interesting as well, thx for sharing your experiences.

What you find morbid and what I find morbid can be two different things.

Don't put a name in a posting of someone that died because it can be a real shock to the friend who finds out in such a cold manner. Do you agree?

Where do you draw the line? If you can't handle a detail or two, stop reading and stay away from the board.

Since we're on the topic...a teammate and I pulled a "guy" out of the river that runs through the city here a couple of months ago. The "guy" had been in the water for approximately 6 months. Nothing left but that waxy material that body fat turns into after so long. The victim's race, sex, ethnicity could not be identified. The kicker was that the victim had been in the water so long that a plant was literally growing out of what used to be his face. He didn't smell too bad simply because of the length of time that he had been in the water and because I had an AGA full-face mask on! The guys on the shore thought otherwise.

6Gill, you're definitely right. Drowning or accident victims typically are not "bad" relatively speaking. But we do get maybe 3 or 4 murder victims a year. They can be pretty bad simply because the bad guys think "Shoot them, throw them in the lake or river and no one will ever find them" and they're right until someone spots something 3 weeks later.

indypddiver:
Since we're on the topic...a teammate and I pulled a "guy" out of the river that runs through the city here a couple of months ago. The "guy" had been in the water for approximately 6 months. Nothing left but that waxy material that body fat turns into after so long. The victim's race, sex, ethnicity could not be identified. The kicker was that the victim had been in the water so long that a plant was literally growing out of what used to be his face. He didn't smell too bad simply because of the length of time that he had been in the water and because I had an AGA full-face mask on! The guys on the shore thought otherwise.

6Gill, you're definitely right. Drowning or accident victims typically are not "bad" relatively speaking. But we do get maybe 3 or 4 murder victims a year. They can be pretty bad simply because the bad guys think "Shoot them, throw them in the lake or river and no one will ever find them" and they're right until someone spots something 3 weeks later.

I still find it hard to believe that a body would smell from underwater unless it was really in shallow water. (puddle?) I'm aware that some K-9's are able to locate bodies underwater by scent, but humans....not likely! I have been called to many scenes of recovered floters, usually in one of the lakes, rivers and Puget Sound while on routine patrol. No need for divers. I found that the head was a poor place to be when trying to get it in a body bag...helping the Coroner. Also to be careful where you grab a body to drag him to shore. Skin seems to slip off the bone, etc.

As for horrific scenes and smells, I would have to say the suicides that are not found for days, and weeks are some of the worst, particulary those that take place in the hotter months in a house. Of course, some have small pets (Cats/Dogs) that add to the visual problem as well as the ones who stick shotgun barrels in the mouth and or both. Cats seem to be the worse of the two. I saw a lot of these, because all suicide calls must have a Patrol Sgt. visit the scene and check it. I noticed that the odor seems to cling to ones uniform, etc.

As for murder victims, have you ever heard of the Green River Serial Killer? He dumped a number of his victims in the Green River, King County WA in the jurisdiction of the King County Sheriff's Department. (The Department that I retired from after 34 years.) My departments dive team recovered a number of these bodies. :wolfgang:

Most of the recoveries we deal with are somewhat fresh. But I have had 5 or so nearing the 30 year range. A couple looked totally intact on the bottom but were like Jello when we touched them.

I'm still looking for 17 that I know of that are reachable. We have another dozen that are just way to deep. 2 at 600, 2 at 750 and a few over a thousand. They can just rest in peace.

Deep fresh water can be quite a challange for recoveries.

Try not to put info about recoveries that could lead to the ID of the victim(s). If you chose to do so do it by e-mail and not the forum. It could be devistating to family menbers. So lets have a heart here. I know you folks have one or you wouldn't be here.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom