Reconsidering Deep Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the problem with that is I don’t have an issue with narcosis or density, for me a 60 metre dive is the same as a 30 metre one so I have no use for helium, I can pump air and be on a wreck in 2 hours from my home for 50 euro including fuel. I’m living beside hundreds of wrecks. Why would I change what works for me.
Tell me about your unique physiology that makes you impervious to the effects of narcosis and gas density.

I would like to know more!

Yeah I could see how a new diver all excited about a deep dive and apprehensive after hearing all the story’s about narcosis might fail to take in certain events or features. But that could be because their preoccupied by their gear and breathing and everything else there told to watch out for.

Your comments are hard to reconcile with my experience, Saying that (for you) 30 meters is the same as 60 is very hard to swallow. As the video mentions, there is a very significant difference in air density and the difference in narcosis between those two depths should be obvious to almost anyone. I don't doubt you can dive air to 60 meters routinely, but it is not the same as 100 feet. If you engage in any sort of swimming or vigorous activity, it is much harder to recover your breath on a deep dive.

Also, the stories of significant narcosis at relatively shallow depths are real. I think there are some people who do not handle narcosis well and some of these people can be very experienced divers. It is dangerous to assume that simply because a diver has completed a lot of dives and is proficient with their gear (and in decent physical condition) that they can function well below 40 meters on air. Some people can and some really can't. There are way, way too many stories of people being wasted at 125 feet to simply dismiss the issue.

Also, the stories of significant narcosis at relatively shallow depths are real. I think there are some people who do not handle narcosis well and some of these people can be very experienced divers. It is dangerous to assume that simply because a diver has completed a lot of dives and is proficient with their gear (and in decent physical condition) that they can function well below 40 meters on air. Some people can and some really can't. There are way, way too many stories of people being wasted at 125 feet to simply dismiss the issue.

I’ve had way too many people tell me helium for 120-150ft dives is a waste of money. Narc is something very personal.

Even if an individual is not usually affected by narcosis, it can and does occasionally kick in unexpectedly on dives that it "shouldn't", dives that the individual has done before without noticeable narc. We don't fully understand why that happens but factors like N loading from previous dives, tiredness, hydration, and some others seem to play a role. And that's before we even begin to talk about workload and CO2 buildup.

The risk of impaired cognitive function is nothing to mess around with in a place where simple decision making and task management can literally be the difference between life and death. Especially when helium presents a perfectly viable way to make the problem go away.

Even if an individual is not usually affected by narcosis, it can and does occasionally kick in unexpectedly on dives that it "shouldn't", dives that the individual has done before without noticeable narc. We don't fully understand why that happens but factors like N loading from previous dives, tiredness, hydration, and some others seem to play a role. And that's before we even begin to talk about workload and CO2 buildup.

The risk of impaired cognitive function is nothing to mess around with in a place where simple decision making and task management can literally be the difference between life and death. Especially when helium presents a perfectly viable way to make the problem go away.

If Helium was $20/cu ft where you live, would it be a "viable way" for people where you live? What if it was $100/cu ft? What if it was a 10 hour drive to get a helium fill? Would your thoughts regarding how feasible using air vs. helium change?

If Helium was $20/cu ft where you live, would it be a "viable way" for people where you live? What if it was $100/cu ft? What if it was a 10 hour drive to get a helium fill? Would your thoughts regarding how feasible using air vs. helium change?
Are the above true for you? It’s far cheaper in Chuuk and even Bikini than that.

Are the above true for you? It’s far cheaper in Chuuk and even Bikini than that.

Even worse, $20/cu ft would be better than no dive shop offering trimix at any price in the area. None of the dive shops near me offer helium at all. The closest dive shop that offers helium is around a 10 hour round-trip voyage.

You didn't answer the question by the way...

Even worse, $20/cu ft would be better than no dive shop offering trimix at any price in the area. None of the dive shops near me offer helium at all. The closest dive shop that offers helium is around a 10 hour round-trip voyage.

It wouldn’t change my stance, no. I’m also not OTF, whomst you quoted. Cost and logistics change neither research, nor physics.

Fill it yourself...

"Its not easy to get!" isn't a very good reason to choose a poor gas for your dive.

I have to drive 4 hours, drop my tanks for the week, and drive another 4 hours to bring them home. And filling my LP50s costs about $300. Thankfully, it's a breather, so I use about 3-5 cubic ft/dive, but it's well worth the expense and time. If I were diving OC, I could get air at a shop 15 minutes from me. I might use it if I really needed a dive, but I'd keep it to rec depths where the narc is manageable. Better to miss the deeper stuff than do it in a way that's more dangerous and less enjoyable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom