Reconsidering Deep Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A thing that stood out for me watching the video is that Ben Bos switched to OC to move the anchor. Is moving an anchor in 60 metres enough to build up CO2 in a rebreather?

It's also enough to cause CO2 narcosis. Been there, done that. I've found that taking a couple of long, deep breaths alleviates the narcosis almost instantly.

I have dived air deep...over 250 feet in the late 70's. Once on the wall at Grand Cayman I saw a 50 foot long purple panther crawling up the wall near me and I laughed my a$$ off. I am so glad nothing else happened that I would have had to deal with.

For the last 3 decades or so I have never considered diving air deep, and will not.

I keep END to 100 feet or less while diving deep caves such as Eagles' Nest. For my thinking it is like playing Russian Roulette.

Between debilitating N2 and CO2 narcosis, crazy high PO2 and increased WOB it is a practice that must be avoided.

Deep Air discussions are like genital herpes, just when you think they are gone....they come back. :)

Being "good" on deep air just depends on the day. Exley was possibly one of the greatest deep air divers, yet, he died at Zacaton on what was basically a deep air dive (EAD was "deep"). I dont know anyone that has not had at least one bad experience on deep air, and if you haven't your either lying to yourself (or us).

My first dive below 200' (1995) I was wacked, almost passed out, had I not hit my power inflator at the last second as my tunnel vision was closing in (and the "wah, wah" and getting louder), I would have blacked out and drowned. Next week, same wreck, same depth I was "fine" (as fine as one can be deep on air).

The real risk of Deep Air is kidding yourself that you can "control" the impairment. Just hope nothing goes wrong.

I think divers who believe they are prone to narcosis should take measures to lessen it . But some divers do not suffer from it. Some people can walk home after 20 pints of beer while others are legless after a couple. Everyone is different.

I think divers who believe they are prone to narcosis should take measures to lessen it .

What measures would that be?

A thing that stood out for me watching the video is that Ben Bos switched to OC to move the anchor. Is moving an anchor in 60 metres enough to build up CO2 in a rebreather?

I would say it depends. I've moved a heavy grapple a couple dozen times in over 60m and once in over 100m. I think the key is too not let yourself become too winded and also diving with a lot of helium helps. A CO2 problem is very serious business indeed, but that doesn't mean that you can't do work on ccr either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom