Suggestion Reconsider and remove the "disagree (red thumb down)" flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rx7diver

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Today I am seeing the red thumb down ("disagree") flag for the first time. This must be a new feature.

I see a couple of problems with this feature: First, in the past, I (and others?) have used the blue thumb up ("agree") flag not only when I have agreed with a particular post (of course), but also to acknowledge that I have read a post, and I have found it helpful, even if I do NOT completely agree with it. I think that introducing the red thumb down ("disagree") flag is forcing a dichotomy that has the potential of being divisive and just might squelch the productive exchanges between members participating in a given SB thread--which is a second, but related, reason I think the red thumb down ("disagree") flag should be discontinued.

I recommend discontinuing this new (?) red thumb down ("disagree") flag feature.

Respectfully,

rx7diver

As the saying goes "forget your feelings". But seriously, I was told to get over it, the suggestion applies here.
I'm over it.
but why? it's no different than someone replying to your post saying they disagree.
The red thumbs down is a bit harsh for Basic Scuba. There are newbies who stay in the kiddie pool. I'm all in favor for having a kiddie pool here. There are plenty of other SB forums for developing scar tissue.
Meh...I prefer a kinder, simpler SB. If you like a post, LIKE it. If you dislike/disagree, move along.
Good advice.

I, too, have used it only once. It was used in reaction to an off-topic post in a serious thread, that solely took a juvenile, cheap shot at a member who was not even a participant in the thread. Adding a reply post would have further derailed the thread to the detriment of the OP/OT.

Thumb(s) down can pretty effectively communicate "poor form" with minimal disruption without feeding the negative "entity".

ETA: Brought to you by a generous grant from - SBers for Responsible Thumbing.

I am not sure what problem or issue adding this option is/was meant to address.

This is one of the main uses:

Thumb(s) down can pretty effectively communicate "poor form" with minimal disruption without feeding the negative "entity".

Another is when someone wants to add their voice when there are already a lot of Replies that counters the post in question.

The red 'thumbs down' emoji is a bit too inflammatory, IMHO.

1662427027771.png

You could be right. We are open to a better icon. We can change the icon but not the primary meaning of the "field". We need a 64x64 pixel square icon minimum.

The software comes with the Angry Reaction, which we felt was unproductive.

Another is when someone wants to add their voice when there are already a lot of Replies that counters the post in question.

View attachment 742049
You could be right. We are open to a better icon. We can change the icon but not the primary meaning of the "field". We need a 64x64 pixel square icon minimum.

The software comes with the Angry Reaction, which we felt was unproductive.

maybe make it blue like the "like" reaction. same size as it too for the minimum

maybe make it blue like the "like" reaction. same size as it too for the minimum

Unfortunately no graphic artists have volunteered and none of us have that skill/talent. I suppose we could rotate the "Like" icon 180° but a less approving color has value.

1662428108327.png

Ah, yes, I agree: Something that communicates this sentiment could be quite useful. Succinct, but without disrupting the thread.

Slippery slope, though. Maybe.

And I'm not sure that everyone who has used the red thumbs down pic has used it in this way.

ETA: Maybe if someone finds a post particularly offensive, then he/she should simply notify the moderators. Then the moderators can give things due consideration. So, no need for a special pic for this, maybe.

rx7diver

Unfortunately no graphic artists have volunteered and none of us have that skill/talent. I suppose we could rotate the "Like" icon 180° but a less approving color has value.

View attachment 742050
Honestly, I think the standard “reaction” thing is useless on xenforo boards, I wish it was setup more as a “reputation” where there was a little green and red bar on under the username, lots of green meant poster was good, lots of red meant they were full of bs

I’ve only had it used on one of my posts…I know, right, me, of all people…but it was ASD when I told him a link that he said was spam had worked for me. What would have been helpful is if I could have responded to his “disagree” with a “confusion”.

The main thing I’m noticing is that a small majority of posts agree with the OP, but it has 12 down votes. Either those in favor of doing away with it are not voting, or they are voting incorrectly. At least as I understand the way it works.

Erik

(Please feel free to agree or disagree with me as you see fit.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom