Suggestion Reconsider and remove the "disagree (red thumb down)" flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rx7diver

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Today I am seeing the red thumb down ("disagree") flag for the first time. This must be a new feature.

I see a couple of problems with this feature: First, in the past, I (and others?) have used the blue thumb up ("agree") flag not only when I have agreed with a particular post (of course), but also to acknowledge that I have read a post, and I have found it helpful, even if I do NOT completely agree with it. I think that introducing the red thumb down ("disagree") flag is forcing a dichotomy that has the potential of being divisive and just might squelch the productive exchanges between members participating in a given SB thread--which is a second, but related, reason I think the red thumb down ("disagree") flag should be discontinued.

I recommend discontinuing this new (?) red thumb down ("disagree") flag feature.

Respectfully,

rx7diver

No one should feel obligated to defend their opinion if it does not agree with yours--in most cases, an absolute stranger. If you're that concerned, tag them in a follow-up post and ask why they disagreed with you, or PM them.
I've used 'disagree' all of once. Scubapro Mk2+ Vs Evo. I just plain disagree with a lot of that post but don't have the inclination to pick it apart.

I disagreed with a post. Big deal. If the poster wants to take issue with my stance, then he will and I will defend my opinion. As it is, he posted something in a thread that I was active in and I felt the urge to respond. My 'disagree' was offered as a 'you want to discuss this?' We both moved on.

The red 'thumbs down' emoji is a bit too inflammatory, IMHO.

Yeah, but I feel that the red thumbs down is inappropriate for the Basic Scuba forum. The rules are stricter and kinder there...
but why? it's no different than someone replying to your post saying they disagree.

Not having a 'disagree' button hasn't stopped people squabbling and being unkind to one another on ScubaBoard. Maybe the 'disagree' button will simply shorten the communication? :wink:

Meh...I prefer a kinder, simpler SB. If you like a post, LIKE it. If you dislike/disagree, move along. If you feel strongly enough about it, take the time to post/reply and say why...there might be a learning opportunity. A thumbs down emoji just feels like lazy, drive-by negativity. I don't see the benefit if it risks chilling the openness of the forum and discourages participation. There's enough of that on the internet. SB doesn't have to be like other social media. All IMHO. :)

The Disagree Reaction has been available since the upgrade almost a year ago. ...

Have you seen any abuse of the Disagree Reaction in the last year? It is something we were concerned about when we re-designed the default Reactions system but found that other forums did not see abuse of their "negative" reactions.
@Akimbo,

Today was the first time I noticed this option. Immediately set off a red flag (pardon the pun) for me, regarding the possible unanticipated negative consequences.

Maybe my reaction speaks more to my own preference that posters should articulate their concerns/criticisms, rather than doing a "drive by" (paraphrasing someone up-thread).

I am not sure what problem or issue adding this option is/was meant to address. At this time I can only see the possible downsides

Thanks,

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom