Recommended inverter switch + setup for 2 batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haring

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to charge two batteries in my boat. I have a 115hp Yamaha outboard. I would like to have both batteries charged while out to make sure that I don't get stuck out on the ocean.

Do they batteries have to be the same capacity/type?
Which inverter switch do you recommend?
Can you help me how to set up the batteries wit the switch?

THANKS so much!

cant speak on the inverter and its various bells and whistles, but for handling dual batteries, its hard to beat a simple manual A/B switch. both positives from the batteries are ran to their respective post on the switch, and the output is routed to the main bus / starter 'noid. just dont set it to 'both' when one battery is dead while the other is charged. things get hot and hydrogen gas is produced when you do that... both things you want very little of on a watercraft.

make sure you've got a battery tender on it while not in use, as as mentioned in the other thread, lead acid batteries do not like being left with a low amount of charge and will suflate when not maintained at float voltage levels. if you go with a switch, having a dedicated tender controller for each battery would be a nice setup, as you can leave the master switch in the off position, and still have both batteries maintained at proper float voltage while parked / stored.

https://www.amazon.com/Perko-8501DP-Marine-Battery-Selector/dp/B00144B6AE

Batteries do not need to be of the same capacity. But keep in mind if they are not when separately selecting which one to use for what.

Simple to wire it up using that switch/selector.

You can charge both at the same time, or one at a time, and use both at the same time, or one at a time.

you can use a simple isolater as well it will charge both but the isolater will keep the one battery from draining .quite easy to set up as well

There are a bunch of ways of installing a second battery, some of which can be more problematic than others (e.g. no alternator field disconnect). See Adding a second battery - Cobaltchat.com for some examples. Perko and Blue Sea both make good switches, and provide lots of good info.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom