Recommended IDC/IE centre please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivemasterUK

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a IDC/IE (PADI) dive centre please? I am looking to do mine in November. I've 'surfed' around, and seem to be drawn towards the '100%' pass schools, are these for real??

Safe diving.

DivemasterUK:
Can anyone recommend a IDC/IE (PADI) dive centre please? I am looking to do mine in November. I've 'surfed' around, and seem to be drawn towards the '100%' pass schools, are these for real??

Safe diving.

In an answer... YES!

Did mine through Asia Divers Ko Tao (Thailand), heard all the usual crap about it being easier abroad, the examiners are sent out from America to assess candidates and have no connection to the dive centres involved whatsoever. Asia DSivers which is connected to Buddha Veiw (same family owns both) have a pass rate of virtually 100%, they can also offer a free retake if oyu need to retry.

Apart from that, great bunch of guys and gals, beuatiful island, great diving and cheep as chips!

oh and the course directors there (Mark and Guy) are able to sort you out with jobs all over the world!

Hi,

Consider Pro Dive in Ft. Lauderdale. I completed my IDC/IE in December and the pass rate for our class was 100%… with no do overs at the IE. We all passed because the course was complete, focused and personal. High expectations and an environment that fostered success contributed to our earned success. We all worked our tails off as well and formed a cohesive team at the end.

Best of luck.

Take a look in the Dive Travel forum under Central America, I recently posted there in response to a similar question or you can PM me. I run Instructor training in Utila, Honduras, Central America and would bemore than happy to go into private correspondence with you.

Wherever you decide to take your training you'll love this amazing work!

Best wishes,
Andy

DivemasterUK:

Safe diving.

The 100% pass rate is fairly easy to offer, the CD shouldn't put you through unless you stand a good chance of passing, should you fail it's down to whether you have the money to stick around for the next go. From my experience and from what all my Instructor friends will tell you the IE is nothing to get too excited about, if you get good scores throughout the IDC then you should pass, if you don't know the theory then that's entirely your fault.

I'm based in Phuket, if you need info on local IDC centres PM me and I may be able to assist you.

iani:
The 100% pass rate is fairly easy to offer, the CD shouldn't put you through unless you stand a good chance of passing, should you fail it's down to whether you have the money to stick around for the next go. From my experience and from what all my Instructor friends will tell you the IE is nothing to get too excited about, if you get good scores throughout the IDC then you should pass, if you don't know the theory then that's entirely your fault.

I'm based in Phuket, if you need info on local IDC centres PM me and I may be able to assist you.

I'm from the Netherlands. I'm 17 years old, and already addicted to diving. Unfortunately it can't be cured... It even makes me want to be a diving instructor. :p Yeah, seriously... I want to make it my living. So I'm already kinda preparing stuff. Trying to get as much info as possible. And I think you are a great source of information, if you are willing to help me. So please... If you do want to help me. Reply or private msg me. Thanks!

Ramón

dutch-scuba-kid:
I'm from the Netherlands. I'm 17 years old, and already addicted to diving. Unfortunately it can't be cured... It even makes me want to be a diving instructor. :p Yeah, seriously... I want to make it my living. So I'm already kinda preparing stuff. Trying to get as much info as possible. And I think you are a great source of information, if you are willing to help me. So please... If you do want to help me. Reply or private msg me. Thanks!

Ramón

Ramon,

As you are probably aware you can't become a Divemaster, let alone and Instructor until you are 18. There is nothing to stop you becoming an OWSI at 18 however I wouldn't be too hopefull about getting a lot of work.

As you are Dutch I assume you have at least a couple of languages, this is definately one of the best things you can have behind you in this industry, on Phuket Swedish, Russian or German are probably the most in demand (and English obviously)

I have no axe to grind so please don't anyone flame me but I would suggest that the majority of Instructors working in resorts are early - mid 20's, this may vary in other areas and I am no expert. It may be easier to get work as DM initially. You also need to realise that there are very few permanent Instructors positions, most are filled either by freelancers or temporary people who are only there for the high season and then go home during the low season.

Another thing to remember is that there is very little money in diving (hence why I am typing this from a compound in Riyadh rather than at home near the beach) so it's not always a good career move. I certainly wouldnt recommend forsaking higher education for the lure of diving. If you are sure you want to give it a go then do it, just remember you will need money to support yourself for a few months and that if you do get lucky you will probably earn just enough to get by, not enough for a return ticket!

If you need anything specific then PM me, I check in fairly often.

Ian

Hmm.... thanks... not really what I was hoping for. Kinda made me depressed. :p
And I do have some more q's, but I'll PM you for those.
Thanks for the info.

Ramon

Two things,

Divemaster UK,

The only person that can guarantee you a 100% pass rate is YOU, and any Course Director who claims a 100% pass rate is probably exagerating.

I have been teaching PADI Instructor courses for six years now and there are always people who arrive at IDC´s and IE´s unprepared or with the wrong attitude. There are always the odd one that need to take a little longer to study, or repeat certain parts of the exam. That is ok, we value what we work hard for and dont value things that are easy or free.

In my case I guarantee to make you an instructor, no matter how long it takes and the second IDC is free. If you need a third or fourth one, I may consider that it is not entirely my fault and that you need to pay a little extra for my and my staffs time. That is just me though, this is also common on open water courses. the course normally costs (for example $300) and it normally takes three or four days. If it takes longer or more work than normal, then the instructor may charge some more for the extra time.

I have had people that became instructors after struggling with the theory and language, I find this particularly when teaching the local market in developing markets, some of my clients have little or no High School education, this means that they sometimes take longer to reach the level that somone with more education might find easy. Similarly with Europeans and North Americans, they tend to have plenty of education, but dont have the 1000 or so dives that the local divemasters have, so they need more development in the water.

If you want to become an instructor, you need to understand that if the student fails to reach the required leve, we should look to see if the instructor failed to teach what was required. No one should fail a PADI course, whether DSD or IDC. The only person I cannot teach how to dive or be a dive instructor, is someone that does not want to be one.

Point Number 2

Ian, Dude, you are depressing me, most people who want to make lots of money become civil lawyers or stock brokers, but that doesnt mean you cant make a good living while having a diving job. If you cant make any money, you need to diversify your skills. The company I work for has instructors that make between $4000 and $10,000 USD per month. that is top end, but the average is $2000-$4000 USD per month.

The truth is that working in the dive industry, you need not only to work hard, but you also need to work smart.

cancun mark:
Point Number 2

Ian, Dude, you are depressing me, most people who want to make lots of money become civil lawyers or stock brokers, but that doesnt mean you cant make a good living while having a diving job. If you cant make any money, you need to diversify your skills. The company I work for has instructors that make between $4000 and $10,000 USD per month. that is top end, but the average is $2000-$4000 USD per month.

The truth is that working in the dive industry, you need not only to work hard, but you also need to work smart.

Thanks!!
Pfew... such a relief. :p That's exactly what I wanted to hear. :p
Felt rather "depressed" after Ian's post. You could literary hear my dream collapse into little pieces. :p But Mark glued it back together. :p hehehe
Well, come on. 2 to 4000 dollars per month ain't that bad. Enough even if you have a working spouse. :p
Thanks again.
byebye

Ramon

Back
Top Bottom