Recommended half suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to buy a half suit that I can use when diving during an upcoming trip to Hawaii so I do not have to rent one. I know nothing of half suits, I'm guessing I would get a 3mm one. Can anyone give me any advice on things to look out for or specific recommended suits to look at?

Thanks!

I just bought a 3mm for Belize and used to dive a 3mm in Hawaii a lot. Shorties are fine but a lot of divers choose a 3mm full suit just for the extra protection on the arms and legs from scrapes and scratches or bumping up against something poisonous. So I compromised and bought a 3mm Hyperflex short legs with long sleeves. My arms are protected from sunburn and scratches but it is easier to get in and out of.

You might want to consider what you want in terms of protection. Hawaii is also not always as warm as the Caribbean and I was never too warm in a full suit. go with one of the reputable suit manufacturers like O'Neill or Bare and you can't go wrong. the Hyperflex seems nice and fits well but I haven't dived it yet so I can't say for sure.

You see shorties in rental a lot, I think because they're easier to fit more people. When buying your own I think a fullsuit is a much better idea for full protection unless you really have a specific reason to get a shortie. While some people do buy shorties it really seems much more common for people to have fullsuits of whatever thickness.

Consider just a long sleeved, no hood Lavacore + trunks for out here. Unless I'm doing a long deco hang, it's pretty much all I need.

Every time I've been to Hawaii, I've gotten a little chilled. It's been around 76 degrees, which can get a little cold when diving more than one or two times a day.

Back
Top Bottom