Recommended dive sites in Orlando?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, how abouts Miami.

I've been told by another UK diver that there are a few places to dive in Miami....

Is it any closer than any of the ones mentioned so far?

Sorry Knife, Miami's at least 4 hours (in the best of times), from Orlando. I'm pretty sure, other than Epcot, that Blue Springs is the closest to where you'll be staying. Good luck though.

Thanks prittykitty.

I'll have to check it out. If they have equipment rentals there all the better or it'll probably look like a dive free holiday for me >_<

They don't have equipement rentals there, but there are something like 17 shops in the Orlando area that would be pleased to help.

BTW, You need to have a buddy already with you to dive most, if not all, of the inland sites. Perhaps the lds, or another board member (who doesn't have to start school super early like me :( ) can assist you with this.

ok, I'll see if it's possible for me to get there, and if it is I'll search for a buddy on here.

Thanks for all the help :)

Ben, there arent too many options as you can see. There are a few shops (the only one i know for sure is Kissimmee Pro Dive and given the proximity to Disney, you are likely to be staying within about 10 miles of that place) that will pick you up and take you on a DM guided dive, but i think they charge and arm and a leg for it. Any chance your folks can drop you off or assist you prior to them going to the parks? Unfortunately the two springs mentioned are a bit far north, the other end of Orlando, by 40-50 miles. Any chance your family might consider seeing the wonders of outdoor Florida while they are here - maybe you can all go to Ginnie Springs (about 2.5 hours up the turnpike), they can tube down the river while you go in the cavern and river drift? Another option might be going to Tampa and being dropped off while they go to Busch Gardens? You probably wouldnt be able to hire a car here and i agree with the others regarding taxis - Orlando is just way too big (its at least $2.50 to start and then another 25c per 1/7 mile or something like that, plus maybe a charge for going outside the city limits)

If you let us know what dates you might be here and free, maybe we can help you more if there is a trip already on? Most people are likely to only be free on the weekends though :wink:

You can contact a LDS in Orlando, When I lived there I would travel the 165 South to B oyenton Beach and take a boat drift diving. YOu can get some good shore diving in near there at Gulfstream Beach park. You should be able to catch a ride with someione that bought a ticket through the shop. Often tehy will have a van go down. Often tehy have weekend club and check out dives going

simbrooks:
Ben, there arent too many options as you can see. There are a few shops (the only one i know for sure is Kissimmee Pro Dive and given the proximity to Disney, you are likely to be staying within about 10 miles of that place) that will pick you up and take you on a DM guided dive, but i think they charge and arm and a leg for it. Any chance your folks can drop you off or assist you prior to them going to the parks? Unfortunately the two springs mentioned are a bit far north, the other end of Orlando, by 40-50 miles. Any chance your family might consider seeing the wonders of outdoor Florida while they are here - maybe you can all go to Ginnie Springs (about 2.5 hours up the turnpike), they can tube down the river while you go in the cavern and river drift? Another option might be going to Tampa and being dropped off while they go to Busch Gardens? You probably wouldnt be able to hire a car here and i agree with the others regarding taxis - Orlando is just way too big (its at least $2.50 to start and then another 25c per 1/7 mile or something like that, plus maybe a charge for going outside the city limits)

If you let us know what dates you might be here and free, maybe we can help you more if there is a trip already on? Most people are likely to only be free on the weekends though :wink:

I will be at tampa at least once (and I imagine only once). I'll see if I can get some dates for when I'm free.

I'm going to be meeting someone who's in a computer game test team I'm in to go shooting on at least 2 days, and I'm going to the universal parks.... so I should manage to find about 5 days free during the holiday.

ScubaKris:
You can contact a LDS in Orlando, When I lived there I would travel the 165 South to B oyenton Beach and take a boat drift diving. YOu can get some good shore diving in near there at Gulfstream Beach park. You should be able to catch a ride with someione that bought a ticket through the shop. Often tehy will have a van go down. Often tehy have weekend club and check out dives going

Do they have rentals anywhere, or would I have to use one of the local dive shops like Simbrooks mentioned?

Try Diver's Direct on International Drive

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Divers Direct / World Watersports Store Location[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Orlando
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our Orlando store is located just around the corner from Universal Studios, and a short jaunt from Wet-n-Wild. We've got everything you need to get wet in-stock!

The photo at the right shows our World Watersports Store with our Divers Direct Pro Shop within.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
wws_orl_sm.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
5368 International Drive
Orlando, FL 32819
(407) 354-3644

(East of Wet-N-Wild) Hours Of Operation:
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday - Saturday[/FONT]

9:30 A.M. to 9 P.M.

Sunday

10 A.M. to 6 P.M.

[/FONT]

ORLmap-275.jpg
[/FONT]​

This was copied from their web site. go to the star on the map.​
[/FONT]

Knife:
Do they have rentals anywhere, or would I have to use one of the local dive shops like Simbrooks mentioned?
Most stores running trips have rentals too. The big stores in Orlando that run trips are Castaway, Scuba Quest, Kissimmee Pro and probably a few others, but i would say they are some of the more frequent trip-makers. The other option is going with a club in the area, i am not sure when they run trips and they dont rent equipment. As long as you can make your way over to one of these shops i am sure you could probably get a ride and be able to rent some gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom